Is it possible to blend yeasts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone gotten a kit with a yeast strain other then EC-1118? Maybe just my luck but they all seem to come with that. I've been changing them lately....

I've had a few that came with RC212. In fact the Pinot Noir I'll be starting soon did. Also had a Sauv Blanc that came with EC1118 AND K-V116. I've changed quite a few out though.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, just researching blending yeasts in primary (I've done this before with mead using seemingly compatible strains with no issues, but never in wine).

use the yeast that comes with the kit. I attended seminars at the winemaker magazine conference and listened up to Tim Vangergraft (the god father of kits).
he states you can add sugar if you want more alcohol or play with the oak or blend kits together after they age. but, they do a lot of bench testing up front at the lab.

Tim is certainly the godfather of kits and I wouldn't contradict his opinion, though it sounds like he contradicts himself here in this article for Wine Maker mag (see #6) http://winemakermag.com/459-make-your-kit-wine-shine

Additionally, I find it very hard to believe to EC1118 is used in so many kits for any reason other than its utilitarian virtue (fast fermenting, high alcohol tolerance, good flocculation/clearing). Tim touches on that a bit as well.

While I know it is frequently recommended against to co-ferment with multiple yeast strains in the primary, it has never been totally clear to me why (assuming you do your research and choose "compatible" strains - I would assume "compatible" primarily meaning similar fermentation speed and nutrient requirements). I can see why it is beneficial on a commercial scale to be able to bench test specific ratio blends to achieve the ideal balance. However, on a small home scale it is certainly much more convenient to keep it all in one fermenter (at least for me). I've got a query into Lalvin/Lallemand/Scott Labs to see their recommendation for specific combinations in primary and will post if I get any valuable feedback.

Cheers.

As a newbe, I split my Riesling in half and fermented two separate 3-gal fermenters. One had Redstar Curvee and the other Lalvin 71B-1122. A very distinct difference in taste can be observed.

When time is right, I am going to bottle two gallons if each and then blend the two remaining one gals together to see what I get.

But, what other brands of yeast are commonly use got wine other than Redstar, Lalvin, and Wyest?

I would like to read more on other types.

Ok, having read through this entire thread, I'm really confused tonight, as I just opened a Winexpert Eclipse Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc kit, and it has two packages of yeast in it. One is EC-1118 and the other is K1-V1116. I started a new thread asking if anybody else has seen this, but then saw this thread as well...hmmm :d

You could message Wine Expert and ask them, KenS? They are really helpful!

But, what other brands of yeast are commonly use got wine other than Redstar, Lalvin, and Wyest?

I would like to read more on other types.

Kudos for experimenting! I did lots of 1 gallon "yeast test" mead batches back in the day and learned a lot. Lalvin/Lallemand is the brand I'm most familiar with, however, most places only carry a small number of their yeast strains in "home winemaker size" but MoreWine is a good source for their small yeast packets (30+) and information on said yeasts. Also, Lallemand has some good information on yeast/grape pairings and yeast descriptions on their commercial site. Yeast is fun!

Cheers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back