WineXpert Is anyone in the Halifax area going to the Wine Expert tasting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSwiner

Reaction score
I just received an email from Noble Grape saying Tim Vandergrift is going to be at the 2010 Limited Edition wine tastings in the Halifax area . Plus it's cheaper then the one here in town. So just wondering if anyone down that way was going and if so which one .

I got a ticket a couple of weeks ago, Darlene. Not sure which one I'm going to yet, though - the one in Sackville is closer but I have committments so may have to go to the one in Cole Harbour. I'm looking forward to seeing the big man!
.. Doug

I'm buying my ticks for the Cole-Harbour one this week end ;)

So Jeff what did you think of the wines for this year ? Especially the Pacifica White (Off-Dry) ,it sounds good . I don't think we are going to make it down this week to any of the tastings . Also what did you think of Tim ?

Jeez, Darlene, you gave me a start! I thought I missed the tasting! Had to go check my ticket - these are being held next week, not this week. Maybe you can go now?

I would be interested in what you all think about Tim Vandergrift also. I am going to a local tasting on Dec 2nd and he is speaking. :a1

Jeez, Darlene, you gave me a start! I thought I missed the tasting! Had to go check my ticket - these are being held next week, not this week. Maybe you can go now?

Guess I am getting ahead of myself , don't know why I had it in my head it was this week . I'm so confused this month with the dates . Yeah so I will talk to hubby about it maybe we can go now . Sorry to give such a start :)
Might be able to go Tuesday to the one at the Holiday Inn on Quinpool RD would like to go to Monday's instead but the guys have hockey practice that night and Hubby helps run it .

It was most enjoyable! Tim proved to be everything I expected and more - he was thoroughly knowledgeable of the wines and their grape regions, food pairings and is a fantastic speaker - kept us in stitches with his anecdotal stories. I spoke to him briefly and he is a warm, engaging person who puts you at ease. Enough idol adulation!
The wines themselves were a mix for me - keep in mind these are commercial equivalents, as best they can find.
The Pacifica was very good - I expected it to be like the Pacific Quartet but it was more crisp for an off dry wine - probably the Sauv Blanc coming through early. A very nice wine.
The Gruner Vetliner was praised by Tim as the best seafood wine on the planet; I found it okay, softer and more complex than the Pacifica, but not overly spectacular to me.
The Primitivo was a bit disappointing to me - I have not made one before and expected something a little more bold, I guess.
The Shiraz Viognier was surprising - the nose was very floral ( clearly violets, as claimed) and kind of off putting for a red - the Shiraz part was very fruity but I couldn't get past the violets!!
Now the Douro Tinto was the one I was looking for and was not disappointed - it was a powerful, deep red and had a good long finish - loved it!
Please note that I do not know to properly taste, evaluate or describe wines so this just represents my take on them.
The only downside to the whole evening was that my wife didn't come with me so I had to limit myself to only a couple of samplings - of the wine - the food samples were fair game!
If you get the opportunity to go to one of these with Tim, don't miss it.

Thats what I like people telling it how they felt in thier own words when they describe the wines . I have never had a Gruner Veltliner so I think I will get one at NSLC and give it a try before I buy the kit .It does sound like something I would like so does the Pacifica .I like different wines at different times as long as they aren't oaky I wil try anything once . Thanks for your take on the wines.

Latest posts

Back