Is a little stink normal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xriddle

Reaction score
Day 4 of Fermentation of my merlot/cab/sangioves is still going strong but i did detect a slight egg smell when pushing the cap down last night. After the push down and a good stir i couldn't really detect the smell much So far the only nutrient i used was fermaid-k 1g / gallon spread over 2 applications (half 24 hours post pitch and the other half @ 1/3 sugar depletion) and I am using RC212.

What do you guys think ..Should i up the nutrient level a little today? Is a little stink normal with RC212?

Thanks

JohnT is an experienced wine maker; like many of us, I'm sure he has been through this before.

It is sometimes a tough call if what you smell is just the combo of the yeast and the particular variety of grape, or is it truly H2S (rotten egg smell). The fact that the smell goes away when you stir is a good sign.

Be sure to keep it stirred well. Stir morning, right after work, then again at bedtime.

perfect thanks all .. I'm gonna add another 5g of fermaid-k .... and keep stirring ...

Latest posts

Back