Is 38 cold enough to stabilize?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkansan07

Reaction score
Im getting ready to build a wine roomon my parents farm to get all my junk out of my house. We have a large blackberry farm and have a walk in cooler. My plans are to start several batches of wine from our berries as well as from other local fruit producers. My question is will 38 degrees be cold enough to cold stabilize? I have had crystals drop from muscadine wine in my refrigerator at home, but its a few degrees cooler.

Thanks

You want to cold stabilize at a temperature below what it might be when refridgerated for serving. I would think 38 is cold enough.

I am not nearly as experienced as the two gentlemen above, but my experience with cold stabilization in the thirty plus degree range is that you will get some precipitate, but the wine may still drop some diamonds in the bottle.

This is based on stabilizing kit wines at 33 degrees for three weeks. Surprisingly, my wines from grapes (Norton and Chambourcin) seemed to drop all their tartrates using this procedure as I have not seen any diamonds in those bottles.

Latest posts

Back