Is 24 gallon fermenter too big for 6 gallon primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodlewine

Reaction score
Is a 12 gallon fermenter to much head space for the primary for 6 gallons of must? That's 12 not 24 gallon

Last edited:
No I don't think so. You could even go up to about 9 gallons and still be safe from overflows for the most part. Unless you have a particulary violent fermentation

No I don't think so. You could even go up to about 9 gallons and still be safe from overflows for the most part. Unless you have a particulary violent fermentation

Thanks. I have found a 14 gallon. Would you think it would be still Be okay for 6gallons? Also I was was wondering if I could do 12 gallons in it with a 2 gallon headspace

I use 14gallon barrels for my 6gallon batches, jus5 remember to rack to carboyy at around 1.000 SG, as for my 12 to 18 gallon batches in a 40 gallon barrels, just as long as t9 rack to your correct size carboty an airlock,, around 1.000 SG... No problems besides I use a drill to stir twice dayly while fermentation is going strong, during fermentation oxygen is yourmusts friend once fermebntation is ov3r ozygen is wines enimey from then own out,,
Yeast andfermention needs tons of oxygen, after that oxygen is b8thyou wines an your enimeny,,
Best of luck to you
Dawg

QUOTE=Doodlewine;635800]Thanks. I have found a 14 gallon. Would you think it would be still Be okay for 6gallons? Also I was was wondering if I could do 12 gallons in it with a 2 gallon headspace[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Back