Interesting article

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this also could be a generational thing . I was reading somewhere that people consume much more sugar than 40-50 years ago . That would be from all sources not just wine . Sweeter wine could be more popular today unless you grow up with something different and crave that .
cheers ,

I think this also could be a generational thing . I was reading somewhere that people consume much more sugar than 40-50 years ago . That would be from all sources not just wine . Sweeter wine could be more popular today unless you grow up with something different and crave that .
cheers ,

Don't forget that our sense of taste changes as we age. I don't have time to "research" this, but I seem to recall studies showing that people tend to gravitate towards more bitter tastes as they age.

Last edited:
Stressbaby said:
Couple of thoughts about sweet wine...a small commercial winemaker near me told me that sugar is good since it covers a variety of wine flaws. So it may not only be something that the consumer wants, it may be something the commercial winemaker is deliberately doing to cover up flaws in the product. There is no doubt that the wineries in MO produce some pretty good wine but where they make their money is from the sweet wine...sweet wine is what sells around here. As far as knowing what you are drinking, I agree with Greg...this really just applies to average consumers in the store. The folks that know wine can ace these blinded taste tests. A good friend of mine has a local restaurant. We had a blinded wine tasting party with 10 different varietals and he nailed every single one. Not just red/wine/rose, but every single varietal. I'll bet lots of folks on this forum could do same.

I definitely agree that sugar will hide wine flaws. Sweetness also helps round out flavors of a wine that is not complex. And sugar is cheap, just look at the junk food industry. So, unless there is a wine culture to educate the palate, sweet wines will win. I'd like to start a business someday and I fully expect to be making a lot of it if I move out of California.

I'm starting to wonder ( sorry Steve ) why we seem to think everything needs back sweeting. For some of us that go Thru all the work of growing and harvesting grapes, crush and age for months just to dump sugar in to mask the original taste.....I am starting a campaign to JUST SAY NO TO SUGAR

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back