Inquiry - Dry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJWineLover

Junior
Reaction score
If you back sweeten a clarified and stabilized wine, does the back sweeten change the dry taste?
I have my 4th kit aCC Walla Walla Merlo wGPand a 5th kit MM Grandbarolo w/GP in primary with the 1st three wines in glass carboys bulk aging. I am considering experiementing to modify to personal taste. There are outstanding wines that are drywhich Iam considering, if possible,to slightlymodify tosemi dry
smiley25.gif
My wife enjoys dry andmy tasteslean towards semi dry tomildly sweet. I appreciate all information, experiences and opinions.

Thanks

Dryness of a wine is determined by how much sugar is in the wine after fermentation. By back sweetening you will change it from dry to semi to sweet... by the amount of sweetness (sugar) you add.

I'd be very hesitant to backsweeten a Barolo - I have never even conceived of a "sweet" Barolo. They are so good as dry, complex wines that sweetening them even a little would probably cover up some of the nuances of a fine wine like that. A wine snob would probably tell you that borders on blasphemy to adulterate a Barolo like that - fortunately, there are no wine snobs on this forum.
smiley4.gif

Bart

Thanks for confirming Tepe. Bartreeder, I have no intentions of alteringmy Barolo. As noted,we do enjoy quality redsand would notexperiment on a wine of that caliber. Besides,if I considered that, mywife would quit as my wine assistant
smiley20.gif
Thanks

Ya know... Make a batch of simple syrup. When you feel ambitious and you want to play with some wines. Add a few drops to a glass and see what it does to your wine. I would not try that on any wines that should finish dry.

Latest posts

Back