Inert Gas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The next step

:b I think the answer to the question is, what do you think, we all get their in own way, I for one use dry nitrogen, it works. If you think any of these statements will help you in topping off, then the answer is given . Try it, that's what this form is all about opinions, questions, answers, and more questions , you have to make your own judgment.:ft

Purging with inert gas does work. The gasses suggested are heavier than air, so gently putting a layer on top of the wine will protect it. I can use it short term with no problem. Long term, it may eventually be dispersed, so I need to keep adding purge gas or plug the hole.

Note: Again - Yes it does work. There is no doubt that heavier than air gasses will layer under normal air. Many people have died when entering an industrial tank to do maintenance work where heavy gasses were present in the area. Heavier than air gasses easily push all the oxygen out of a floor installed tank. Just because you can't see it, don't mean it doesn't flow like water.

This is false. The gasses you are talking about that displace oxygen in low places are not ideal gasses. Ideal gasses will evenly mix and there will not be a layering effect. Using Argon or Nitrogen - the two readily available gasses that will not carbonate your wine are for purging the entire headspace and will not layer on top of the wine.

As to using CO2 - the statements about atmospheric pressure & room temperature not carbonating the wine are essentially true. At a given pressure and temperature the co2 gas will reach an equilibrium with carbonic acid in the wine but at room temperature and atmospheric pressure this equilibrium leans heavily toward Co2 gas and not carbonic acid. This is why pop & beer go flat once opened. However, wine is heavy on CO2 after fermentation and part of the aging process is degassing. If the headspace is filled with co2 then this process will be slowed...how much is hard to say.

If all you have is CO2 or the blend referenced above then use it because the big goal is to protect the wine. If you are going out and buying a tank then choose Nitrogen as it will not have any carbonating effect and it's cheaper than Argon. Not a whole lot cheaper but since there is absolutely no benefit to the heavier argon then you might as well save a few dollars.

Last edited:
Back