I'm having trouble with corks blowing out .

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSwiner

Reaction score
I've been making wine for a few years now . Started with kits then after the help from members here I made different wines from fruit juices . I have never had a problem with the the wine not stabilizing and refermenting after I bottled it . I use Super-Kleer K.C. all the time . I did back sweeten all 3 wines it happened to but I checked the S.G. level on them all before filtering and bottling . There was no change after sitting for at least 2 weeks after back sweetening , so I went ahead with them . Then about 6 weeks later I noticed one had popped the cork . I checked the other 2 wines and found they were starting to get a little fizz to them . They taste the same just like a sparkling wine now .
So I'm getting to the point with the 2 wines I have going now of stabilizing & back sweetening them . Still plan on using Super-Kleer (Hoping that's not the problem) . Is there anything you guys could suggest I try differently this time .

Just a side note we have had some really mild temps here then normal in the early winter now we are in normal temps for this time of year . Along with way to much snow now . Don't know if sudden change in temps would be part of the problem .

Couple of things come to mind.
A. Did you use sorbate after clearing(SuperKleer) and before backsweetening?
B. If you did, how old is your sorbate?

No I didn't add sorbate , just the Kieselsol that is the Super-Kleer . I never used anything else before I didn't have any troubles .
The tart cherry juice one I added Potassium metabisulphite after adding Super-Kleer because there were still bubbles coming up in the airlock . waited then checked S.G. and it was the same as when I back sweetened it . Thought it was extra gas so degassed again .Seemed fine when I bottled it .
If you think it will help I can go buy sorbate before I go any further .

Last edited:
No I didn't add sorbate , just the Kieselsol that is the Super-Kleer . I never used anything else before I didn't have any troubles .
The tart cherry juice one I added Potassium metabisulphite after adding Super-Kleer because there were still bubbles coming up in the airlock . waited then checked S.G. and it was the same as when I back sweetened it . Thought it was extra gas so degassed again .Seemed fine when I bottled it .
If you think it will help I can go buy sorbate before I go any further .

As vaccuuumpumpman stated, get sorbate.

You have been very lucky not to have "bottle bombs" before now. Also, you may have been drinking them quick enough as not to give them time to build up. Either way, use sorbate after you have cleared the wine when backsweetening. It will take care of your problem.

Guess I have been lucky then . I have some in there I made a couple years ago . Better get drinking them lol .
Thanks for your help .

Yes
Kieselol.is a clearing agent

Sorbate will prevent yeast from starting but will not kill active yeast. So add sorbate and put it off to the side and keep an eye on the air love for activity

I think now I must have used the Potassium metabisulphite as the stabilizer before . It was over a year since I had made a batch from juice so must have just forgot . Thanks again for helping me out .

Sorbate and Kmeta go together when I am stabilizing after everything has cleared. Keep in mind, the sorbate is not necessary if you are not back sweetening. My reds rarely get sorbate as they are finished dry.

Ok I've poured the bottles of wine into a carboy . Decided that 2 of them were enough alike it would be ok . The third one I tried mixing them in a glass first to make sure it wouldn't mess the taste up totally . I can live with that . It's only a small carboy . Still had a couple bottles left so threw them in the fridge for now . So far I have degassed it 3 times waiting a half hour between . Still needs more degassing I think . I'm wondering should I wait another day or two degas again then sorbate or would it be ok to do it now . I'm thinking waiting is probably the best idea .

Latest posts

Back