I'm BAAAAACK!!! And I need some help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatud4life

Future wine & SP maker
Reaction score
Hello all!!!! It's your friendly tattooed amateur wine maker here! I am in need of some help! I started my batch of muscadine wine on Saturday. My wife and I hand squeezed 38# of muscadines ( a wine press is definitely in my future.) I topped off to 5 gallons with water, added my sugar to get my O.G. to 1.090, added my nutrient, energizer, tannin, and pectic enzyme per dosing recommendations per gallon. I waited 2 days to pitch the yeast to allow for the pectic to kill off all the natural yeast from the grapes. It has been 3 days since I pitched the yeast and I have no activity. Any thoughts and/or tips to get this party started? I don't want to waste all of my home grown grapes with a bad batch!!!! I'm in serious need of help!!! :a:a1

Are you stirring it and are you checking with a hydrometer?

And welcome back!

Do you mean k meta and not pectic enzyme? Pectic enzyme will not kill yeast.

I'm with JohnT, your temp is probably too low, especially for a relatively high sugar content. I'd go to 75 if it were mine. You can use a heating pad strapped to the bucket.

When you get north of 1.090, the sugar can actually inhibit fermentation as it is just starting up. That's why liquid temp is so important.

Thanks Wordy!!! You just made me realize one of my blunders!!! I did not add any Kmeta. :slp I got confused for some reason. Do you think I should add the kmeta now and pitch another dose of yeast after a couple of days? Also, I will raise the must temperature. Thank you very much!!!! I am stirring daily and checking with my hydrometer.

On a side note, I tried a different yeast for a batch of skeeter pee and I am not impressed with it. I went with Red Star's Champagne and it is extremely slow!!! Must temp might be part of the problem, but I like EC-1118 alot better!

Thanks again everyone for your help! :br

I did pitch the yeast wet, but the water wasn't too hot. It was the same temp that I always use. I don't think that is the problem.

Back