Ice wine "style" VS sweet wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
At my recent family reunion I served a taste of "Ice Wine" that another armature on the forum sent me. It was just labeled as "ice wine", I served it cold and several people who love sweet wine loved it. I have not made nor do I prefer any sweet wine. Red, Dry and Italian for me.

I offered to make a batch but am short on ideas. I only see a couple Ice Wine "Style" kits on the market, CC and WE. But I don't know if there are others and I don't know if there is any real difference in the sweet Gurtz and Rieslings as compared to whatever "Ice Wine Style" is. How about some advice, comments, suggestions and opinions!

Ice wine comes from grapes left on the vine until they literally freeze. They have the maximum of natural sweetness. You would not sweeten a reisling to attempt the same taste.

If not from a kit see if there is an orchard that could ship you these grapes or juice.

Runningwolf has made icewine and those who like sweet wine loved it. I have not made any just my 2 cents worth.

Tony that is the correct web site. I bought the Vignoles from them last Fall but did not care for the Concord when I tasted it. IMO the Concord just did not come close in taste. Maybe thats why they sold out of the Vignoles so early and still have the concord left.

Between us, I would buy a kit before I bought the Late Harvest Concord or wait until this Fall. :a1

I bought the Vignoles from them last Fall but did not care for the Concord when I tasted it. IMO the Concord just did not come close in taste. Maybe thats why they sold out of the Vignoles so early and still have the concord left. Between us, I would buy a kit before I bought the Late Harvest Concord or wait until this Fall. :a1

This is the response I got from them in an email today.
"No, we won’t have the “late Harvest” Vignoles this year. The only one we are offering is the “late harvest” concord."

Any suggestions, anyone?

Might also consider Vidal grapes - they make an excellent Ice Wine - IMO - it makes a good wine dry or sweet.

I have never made ice wine, but i imagine freezing your grapes first would help break down more sugars.

Latest posts

Back