I think I'm stuck

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LanMan

Reaction score
So after 2+ years of beer and wine making, the only time I have had a stuck ferment is when I used Welches white grape juice. The first time was one of my first attempts ever at wine. This time it is 5 gallons. I wish I had my notes but the OG was less then 1.090, no nutes, properly airated and plenty warm 72+. Montrachet yeast. This wine is stuck at 1.020.

?????????????????

No nutrients and using Montrachet? Thats a recipe for disaster!!! That yeast is notorious for low nutrient problems!!!!! Can almost guarantee thats the problem, Im amazed it doesnt have a strong H2S problem to go with it!!

Thank you for the replies.
OK, wasn't aware of montrachet + no nutes=bad.
I have always used Montrachet sometimes with nutes sometimes without. Now I wonder if I used nutes with my other one that was stuck.

Anything I can do to bring it down?
Repitch with?
Add nutes?

So is there anything that I can try to get this to ferment out. Is there a good yeast to repitch with?. I really don't want to lose this.

Do a search on Morewine .com for a Encapsulated Super yeast! Its supposedly the best yeast for stuck fermentation.

The restart (kit?) is $18 and it was a mesh bag, alginate and Uvaferm 43.
They have the uvaferm 43 for $1.95 and it is for stuck/sluggish ferments.
unfortunatly shipping on this one item from Morewine is over $6. Anyone live near Morewine can pick up a pack, I would gladly send a SASE with $2:D

:u

Repitched a starter made with lalvin ec-1118

And it is now fermenting:db
I'll check gravity in a couple weeks

I love Lavlin, Its all I ever use anymore... Saved my bacon on a stuck peach a few years back and I've never strayed since!

Yep, I got more than one pack so I will be using it on my next wine

Proof of life

pepperseedlings205.jpg

:tryEC-1118 wins

:u

So I checked on this elderblush that unstuck from 1.020
It was down to 1.015 and I am thinking it is stuck again. As it was around where I wanted it to be anyway as far as sweetness goes I went ahead and stabilized.:sm Bad Idea? It is now sitting pretty in a cleaned carboy. I will check it in another month and if still stable I will probabily bottle.

Are you doing your primary fermentations in a carboy and not a bucket?

I've got 5 gals of stuck kit red (1.020) - it tastes ok but far too sweet for me.

Will try the EC-1118 and see how it goes. Is it best to rack it off the old yeast first or can I just add it as it is?

The best thing is to give everything a stir then see what happens some times it is all that is needed. If that does not strat the kit then do a yeast starter using apple juice just read what is in the juice you want no sulfite and no sorbate. Mix a gallon down to 1.060 then start your yeast get it going well do this in a good sized container. When it is going real strong add 1/4 gal of your stuck must to the fermenting apple juice. Wait a few hours and then add 1/2 cup of your stuck ferment to the fermenting apple must. next morning add 1 cup of your stuck ferment to your apple must next add 1/2 gallon of your must to the apple must then 2 gallons untill you have equal ammounts then add the rest to you now fermenting must. Do not worry yu will not taste the apple juice.

I've got 5 gals of stuck kit red (1.020) - it tastes ok but far too sweet for me.

Will try the EC-1118 and see how it goes. Is it best to rack it off the old yeast first or can I just add it as it is?

No need to rack off old yeast. As was already said, warm the wine up to 74-76F, then stir it really well. If it doesn't start in 2-3 days, add EC-1118 yeast via a yeast starter and stir it up really well and keep it warm.

Are you doing your primary fermentations in a carboy and not a bucket?

It depends on what is available at the time. I do a lot of beer and beer is in the buckets most of the time.

This wine did start in the carboy however. I have done many other wines that primaried in a carboy and as I said in the first post the only wines that have ever stuck had Welches white grape juice in it. Coincidence?

Anyway it is stabilized now so soon it will be :dg

Back