I think I want to know barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west_end

Reaction score
I am trying to convince myself that I need an oak barre. Besides the expense what are the pros and cons of aging wine in a barrel

Also how long do they last

Thanks

I got my first one a year ago and got a second about six months ago. They make a huge difference. A barrel can last many years, but will stop imparting oak after about two. However, the micro oxidation and concentration benefits are still there, and that's what a barrel is best for. Oak flavor can still be imparted using cubes, staves, spirals, etc. Your wines will be brought to 'the next level'. Plus, it's just kinda cool to say you have wine aging in an oak barrel. ;)

I agree with Boatboy24 as for the awards of using a barrel, if any downside it is scheduling wine into the barrel to insure that it is full at all times. the barrel can be stored with sulpited acidified water, but you are leaching out oak with this method. Keeping barrel full is good excuse to keep purchasing kits or grapes.

Boatboy24 I have to admit telling people I am aging wine in an oak barrel has its appeal.

So do you leave the wine in the barrel during the whole aging process? If yes, It seems like you would want to rack it over a few times to make sure it's not sitting on yeast.

After the barrel stops imparting oak, do you age the wine long term in the barrel or just for a limited time?

So the tricky part is to keep the barrel in use all the time?

How do you clean and sanitize them? That seems like it would be a hassle.

Can you use the same barrel for a chardonnay and a Cab back to back, or would you have to have a barrel for each?

Where is the best place to shop for barrels, I have read that French Oak is preferred but a lot more expensive, but since you are only getting two batches from a barrel the source of oak maybe not that important

Thanks

So do you leave the wine in the barrel during the whole aging process? If yes, It seems like you would want to rack it over a few times to make sure it's not sitting on yeast.
I usually make sure the wine is clear before rotating it into a barrel
Can you use the same barrel for a chardonnay and a Cab back to back, or would you have to have a barrel for each?
If you put a White in the barrel after a red, you'll have a rose colored white, separate barrels are recommended
Where is the best place to shop for barrels, I have read that French Oak is preferred but a lot more expensive, but since you are only getting two batches from a barrel the source of oak maybe not that important
The best place to buy barrels for smaller batches is Vadai in my honest opinion, it is Hungarian oak, why do you think that you are only getting 2 batches of wine out of a barrel?
After the barrel stops imparting oak, do you age the wine long term in the barrel or just for a limited time?
You can continue aging in the barrels, just add Staves, spirals or cubes to get the oak that you want, you'll still benefit from the micro oxygenation
So the tricky part is to keep the barrel in use all the time?
This isn't as hard as you would think, you will start to develop a schedule, I currently have 3 barrels, small 5 and 6 gallon barrels, I have a Malbec, Cab Sauv and Montepulciano in them, the Montepulciano will come out in a month, and the Amarone will go back into it, the Cab and Malbec will stay in for 6 months min, in that time, I have 12 Gals of Sangiovese and 10 Gals Cab Sauv from this fall, fresh grapes that will be racked several times during those 6 months before being rotated in, followed by 6 gals each of Brunello, Valpolicella, Montepulciano, and Barolo, my barrels will be full for at least another year, during that time, I plan on getting more Chilean Malbec, this batch is already really good, then more grapes in the fall...so you see, it really isn't hard to keep them filled, I need to purchase another 6 gallon Carboy.
How do you clean and sanitize them? That seems like it would be a hassle.
Piece of cake, if you don't ferment and age in them before the wine has cleared, hardly any sediment will be left in the barrels, I rinse and sanitize the barrels, then rotate the next wine into it.

This isn't as hard as you would think, you will start to develop a schedule, I currently have 3 barrels, small 5 and 6 gallon barrels, I have a Malbec, Cab Sauv and Montepulciano in them, the Montepulciano will come out in a month, and the Amarone will go back into it, the Cab and Malbec will stay in for 6 months min, in that time, I have 12 Gals of Sangiovese and 10 Gals Cab Sauv from this fall, fresh grapes that will be racked several times during those 6 months before being rotated in, followed by 6 gals each of Brunello, Valpolicella, Montepulciano, and Barolo, my barrels will be full for at least another year, during that time, I plan on getting more Chilean Malbec, this batch is already really good, then more grapes in the fall...so you see, it really isn't hard to keep them filled, I need to purchase another 6 gallon Carboy.

Pumpkinman you are my hero. That's an awesome schedule

You can store an empty barrel by using (burning) sulphur sticks in them while they are empty. I was pretty skeptical about this but we've got several barrels and sometimes we just can't keep them all filled. The sulphur sticks work pretty well and I've even seen them used at a commercial winery.

Cons... Need to find more space for your hobby.? Makes it more expensive? Adds additional step(s) to your wine making process? Turns you into a wine making snob?
smilie.gif

Last edited:
Cons... Need to find more space for your hobby.? Makes it more expensive? Adds additional step(s) to your wine making process? Turns you into a wine making snob?
smilie.gif

More expensive? Over time, not really. I've had my first barrel for a year now, and I've run 180 bottles through it. That adds about $1 per bottle. By this time next year, that will be down to 50 cents. And another year later, well, you get the picture.

I don't see the other three items as cons. :)

More expensive? Over time, not really. I've had my first barrel for a year now, and I've run 180 bottles through it. That adds about $1 per bottle. By this time next year, that will be down to 50 cents. And another year later, well, you get the picture.

I don't see the other three items as cons. :)

Apparently you're not as chea.., err, frugal as I am. :i

Back