I think I goofed....used puree instead of juice.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
I think I goofed....I wanted to make a one gallon batch so I bought a 3 lb., 1 Oz can of Vintner's Harvest Sweet Cherry "Puree" from my local wine & brew shop. When I opened the can I realized how thick the liquid (puree) was....and thought....now what? It was obviously too late to return it so I measured enough water to make up a gallon, poured the puree and water in to a two gallon food grade bucket I had (the cover is air tight and has a bung for a bubbler), added sugar to get the SG up to around 1.010, tossed in some yeast nutrients, pitched yeast and let it rip. Now, it started fermenting (and pretty hardy I might add) but I keep thinking I goofed and I should have used juice in lieu of puree. When I opened the bucket just a little while ago there is a pretty thick "cap" on top so I "punched" it down and put the cover back on. Has anyone had any experience in making wine with puree? This is my first attempt at making a one gallon batch......any advise is of course welcome. Thanks.

You are fine with the purée but you need to have you Sg starting around 1.080 not 1.010.

Thanks Julie.....yep, the SG was right there. Will I yield one gallon or with the amount of "cap" I see reduce the volume?

You need to get more sugar in there, right now all you will get is roughly 2% ABV. Don't snap the lid down, just let it on loosely and stir dailey. The cap will thin out as it ferments.

Julie, I wonder if she meant 1.10? I have never made one of these have you Julie or anyone you know? I was just wondering how they turn out vs. a kit.

There has been a couple of members on here who have used it and they claim it has come out fine. I never have. I was wondering about the sg, 1.010 or 1.100.

Hi, yes.....just to clarify, the starting SG was somewhere between 1.090 an 1.10, not 1.010. I'll open the bucket and let it breath a bit......I love the aroma of fermenting liquid! Good to know the "cap" will thin. Thanks again. Pete

Latest posts

Back