I QUIT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew something was wrong! Great for figuring it out, Peter!
smiley36.gif

ms.spain said:
Waldo,

On January 4th of this year my father, age 55, had surgery to remove a tumor on his tonsil-squamous cell carcinoma. The only indication of any problems was a "swelling" on the right side of his neck(Dad thought it was a cyst, but it was the lymph nodes in his neck-the cancer had matastisized).He let this go for nearly a year.The probable cause of this tumor was smoking for 40 years.The incision on his neck was literally from ear to ear-30 staples.He also had to have all his teeth extracted by an oral surgeon, because the radiation treatments would crumble his teeth.

His prognosis is good, but he will have to take radiation treatments for 6-7 weeks.Needless to say, he finally has a made-up mind to quit smoking!!!
smiley32.gif

I also smoked for several years, so I know what you are going through.

Congratulations on quitting-YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!
smiley31.gif

I promise you, your family wants you around for many years to come-just from reading your posts, I see you bring joy to many people,including this forum!
smiley1.gif

We're behind ya,Waldo!!!!
smiley32.gif

Ms.Spain...
Thank You for sharing the news of your Father's events...hope he has the strength and determination to get through the struggles that lie ahead....with the support of his Family and Loved Ones, he will be stronger.
Seems Cancer touches everyone, Family, Friends and Loved Ones....we all have to take care of ourselves...Life is a Trip...enjoy the Journey!!!

Waldo - congratulations on kicking a harmful habit! That is wonderful news, and I'll toast to your health!
smiley20.gif

Congrats Waldo, I to am a reformed smoker. I quit on my birthday in June. I used an herbal smoking cessation kit and it worked great for me. I had tried the hypnosis in the past and it didn't work for me. I was smoking before I made it home.

I now am nauseated by the stale smell of smoke. It don;t bother me to smell smoke while someone is smoking but the smell on cloths and in the vehicles gag me. I was lucky that my vehicle didn't stink as I would only smoke in it with the window down.

Now, my wifes vehicle is a different story. She refuses to try to quit, even though the idea in June was hers. She smokes in her vehicle with the windows rolled up. When I drive it I can't see out the windows due to the film on the windows as well as you can't see out the rear view mirror. I practically refuse to get in this vehicle.

Good job and hope you can stay smoke free forever. Report back how you are doing every month and watch the waist line. Mine has expanded just a tad this time. The first time I quit about 10 years ago, I gained close to 50 pounds. When I moved to Louisiana and all the fine foods we have here, here came another 30 pounds. Now I have gained about another 20 pounds from this quitting session which will be permanent! At lest now I can breath and not get winded exercising.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

smurfe said:
I was lucky that my vehicle didn't stink as I would only smoke in it with the window down.

Now I don't get this (and I'm not picking entirely on you, smurfe, you just happened to mention it and that made me think of one of my pet peeves).

Okay - if you smoke and you want to keep your window down and hold the cigarette near the window, fine. That's your right and you aren't hurting anyone but yourself. But the nitwits who pitch their cigarette butts out the window should be made to pick up all the cigarette butts within that 1 mile section of roadway with their tongues (and when I become king, that will be the penalty for throwing your cigarette out the window!). I mean, you have a freakin' ashtray in your car for a REASON! If you are too arrogant, stupid, dimwitted, or just (insert your own bad phrase here) tonot use the ashtray in your car, then you shouldn't smoke in it at all! What - are you afraid that having some cig. butts in your ashtray will lower the resale value? If you're that worried about it, then wait until you are out of the car and near an ashtray to burn one! That's going to be my other penalty - besides the whole "pick up the cigarette butt with your tongue" thing - my police force will impound your car where, for 30 days, it will become the smoking station for the local prison. The prisoners won't be allowed to deface or damage your car, but there will be a minimum of 25 prisoners each day lighting up in your car with the windows up. Think of the sale value of the car after that!
smiley7.gif

Dang, Funky Fish,

You've given this alot of thought. But I'm with you. I guess what detered me growing up was that if we got caught smoking, we would have to smoke a whole pack with a bucket over our head!!! That was enough for me!!

I, nor my three sisters ever smoked or my Dad but Mom had to have her Kools and a 6 pack of Stroh's.

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

I guess I have. It's just that there is no reason whatsoever for someone to throw a butt out the window. If you don't want to use the ashtray, then don't smoke in the car. Or put the butt in your pocket. See - look at that...I came up with two simple solutions in less time than it took me to type this sentence.

Big Congrats Waldo

I had a tripple bypass in 1995 and quit smoking and started dipping snuff. then about 7 yrs later i had to go and get 3 stents in my heart. I quit all tabacco products when the Dr. told that nicotine can cause the stents to colapse.Now i can smell better and taste better ,plus i feel better than i did 20 yrs ago i am 68yrs old. Hang in there buddy you can do it.

Harry
smiley32.gif

Funky Fish! You don't have opinions, do you?
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif
I too can't stand to see people pitch a butt out the window. I want to pull up next to them and tell them to get out, walk back and pick it up. I once thought I should ask them if that was how their mothers raised them, but they may have learned techinque from them! My parents were both Camel Straight people
smiley11.gif
and by the time they were done there was nothing left but ash!

Waldo:

Checking in to see how your doing with not smoking.

My wife and I have too quite the habit that has been an addiction of mine for over 32 years and my wifes for 25 years. We have now been nicotine free for the past 9 days 13 hours and 25 minutes........ and counting.

Waldo my friend I'm proud of ya'

When I was 21 I was smoking a pack of camels a day and my dad was diagnosed with emphasima (sp?) We both quit cold turkey. I'm 57 and Pop just turned 81. Good on ya' boy!!
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley32.gif

Congrats Waldo!
smiley32.gif
Awesome news! Just one thing I don't understand... if you smoke for 38 years that means you started when you were what?
2 years old??

This January will beone year smoke-free for me. Asumming, of course, that I make it through the holidays with the in-laws! (jk)

I am 59 sang and when I was about11 years old we were smoking anything we could get to burn. Corn silk, rabbit tobacco, coffee grounds, grape vines and on and on.......I am embarassed to say that my recent effort at quitting did not succeed
smiley9.gif
At least I am down from 2 packs a day to only 6-7 cigarettes a day but that is still 6-7 too damn many.

Edited by: Waldo

Waldo I know what you mean. Me and my wife quit for awhile and then started up again from stress. Stupid!

Waldo: Ask your Doctor for a perscription for Chantix. It's a wonder drug for quiting smoking. The Doctor told us that even if we wern't ready to quit, we still had an 80% chance of quiting. It has no side effects and numbs the want of wanting a smoke, or for the most part, that you even smoked in the past.... i.e. no certain "Habit" times like driving, after dinner or with that first cup of coffee. You don't even have the urge. Being around other smokers doesn't bother me at all. You should try it, it works.

Waldo,

If you quit smoking, does that mean I have to quit drinking wine? Just kidding!! (like that would ever happen!) Goodluck to you!! I know this is incredible hard, I have never smoked, but my parents did and have been smoke free for over 25 years! (Although mymom says she still could crave a cigarette, she knows it is not good for her and she chooses not to).

Good luck!

Francie

jobe05 said:
Waldo: Ask your Doctor for a perscription for Chantix. It's a wonder drug for quiting smoking. The Doctor told us that even if we wern't ready to quit, we still had an 80% chance of quiting. It has no side effects and numbs the want of wanting a smoke, or for the most part, that you even smoked in the past.... i.e. no certain "Habit" times like driving, after dinner or with that first cup of coffee. You don't even have the urge. Being around other smokers doesn't bother me at all. You should try it, it works.

I worked very hard for a year on helping produce product for this drug during the clinical phase 3 trials and I heard the same thing that it worked extremely well!

Waldo - so the hypnosis didn't work?

For the time you didn't smoke, did you notice any difference in the taste of wine?

I never smoked because I was scared to.. My dad threatened to make us smoke a whole pack while we have a bucket on our heads. Can you imagine smoking under a bucket and not being about to get away from the smoke (the idea intended) and how sick you would be. That was enough for me. Not one of my sisters or me ever smoked.......wish that was true for my dauthter.

I'll have to look into that prescription for her. She did ok on the patch but that is substituting one form of nicotine for another.

Congratulations on those who have been successful!!!

Ramona

Latest posts

Back