I need some Barrel Education

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, I just called Vadai, they are out of 5 gallon barrels, they do have 6 gallon. Would I be correct in assuming that putting 5 gallons of wine in a 6 gallon barrel and topping it off with 1 gal of commercial wine be a bit too much?

I think its a bit much personally. I am OK with a couple of bottles just not sure about like 5 bottles of commercial. I made all 23L kits from the git go so I purchased 23L Carboys first then 23L Barrels. When I went to fresh grapes I purchased enough to make ~7 gallons of finished wine with each varietal that left me with an extra gallon for the angels. You took a different route with the pails and sounds like you have lots of 5 gallon carboys around. So unless you want to change over to 23L kits or something that you end up making 6G instead of 5G I guess I would stick with the 20L even if it takes awhile to get them in stock.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the input.
I wanted to really try out just about every type of wine that we liked, so I bought a ton of juice pails and went to town, then I started Hard Cider, Country fruit wine, Meads/Melomel, Kits, and now beer...LOL
What I plan on doing from here on out is to make 10 or 15 gallons of a few select favorites and maybe a few 5 or 6 gallon batches each year, for instance, I plan on making:
10-15 gallons of Amarone
10 Gallons Brunello
10 Gallons Pinot Noir
10 Gallons Moscato
5-10 Gallons Merlot
5-10 Gallons Cabernet Sauvignon (I finally found a Cab Sav that I really liked)
and various smaller 5 or 6 gallon batches.

So I really think that this season I will buy a 5 Gallon (20 Liter) and a 6 gallon (23 liter) barrel, and by next fall, a 10 gallon (40 Liter) barrel.

Thanks for all of your help.

Just a thought. If you make 10G at a whack (2 pails same stuff) you could pick up a 40L (10.5G). That might get you close enough plus you can leave them in for much longer periods of time. Price is much better as well.

I like your thinking Mike. Even with a double kit batch (12 gal), you'd have a gallon for the angels, then one "unoaked" gallon to blend in.

Ok, so I got the official "OK" from my bride to spend on yet another Wine Toy...Oak barrels!
I think that I'm going to go with 2 5 gallon barrels for now, one for the juice bucket wines, and one for the wine kits, even though the kits are 6 gallons, I'll use the extra gallon to top off.
I plan on buying a 10 gallon to follow my plan of making fewer, but larger batches of wine.

I was tossing between buying a Mash Tun setup to go All Grain Beer brewing, or the barrels, I am more than content with the beer that I am making (and I have started making batch after batch) using LME and grain, Austin Homebrew sells fresh LME and it really has made a difference, everyone that has had a few has been very impressed, so I will continue to brew beer and create recipes geared towards our tastes and a few clones as I move forward, and get the barrels so I can start to step up the wine making to the next level.
Now I just need to confirm that I can use my buddies crusher/destemmer and press, and I will start a batch of Cab Sav this Chilean season!
The barrels will get good use!

Latest posts

Back