I need a new TV

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chateau Joe

Snowbelt Fermenter
Reaction score
I need everyones help. My faithful American made Zenith finally went up last night in smoke. :( It made a whining noise then smoke rolled out from inside.

The last time I went shopping for a TV there were no such thing as a flat screen. I have no idea what I'm shopping for. What is a good brand to look at and what store offers the best deals?

Vizio is a good value. Sams Club, Wal-mart, Costco, Best Buy

Check around on Amazon as well. They usually beat the pants off the brick and mortar stores in price plus they almost always have free shipping and no tax in most states.

How big of a TV are you looking to get? We have a 52" Sony Bravia 1080P as our main TV that we have had a couple years and when I watch a movie on it I still am amazed at how nice the picture is. I can still remember 13" black & white TV is one of the reasons I guess. We also have a 19" Vizio 1080P , a 32" Sony Bravia 720P, & a 32" Samsung 720P flat screens. All are good TV's with good pictures. Sam's Club has a huge selection of TV's with decent prices. And Walmart has some TV's that are priced pretty good too. Good luck - Buying a TV nowadays is not an easy chore. There is just so much to choose from. I can't tell the difference between the 720P & 1080P myself. If you are going from a Zenith analog TV to HDTV you are really going to like it.

Larry

Vizio is a good value. Sams Club, Wal-mart, Costco, Best Buy

+1 I would consider this for my next tv

Right now I have a Sony 55" 3D tv but thats because I had a 5 year old rear projection that went bad and they sent me this one in replacement for it for only $400.00. It retails for $2000. I did not have the warrenty but they had a class action law suit against them several years earlier and this is how theu rectified it. It shocked the pants off of me. Tv's have come down so much in price and improved in quality. Just remember to get the biggest tv you can, but 55" is very large and you really need a large and long room for something that big.

I agree with Larry. The old cabinets are just way to big for the new tvs. You can actually just hang them on the wall now. I would seriously consider a new set up.

Samsung makes a great TV. I would go with an LED TV and at least 120Hz.

I agree on Samsung, but I went with the 59" plasma ... hanging on the wall.

I love it. I also got a Samsung BR player to go with. Connected to the home network and web and digging it.

My vote is for Sony. Solid and great picture.

In my area, Walmart has the best bargins.

One question is if you currently have cable TV (or simply antenna). If so, you will want to get HD TV from your provider. Believe me, it is worth it.

Also be sure to use the new HDMI cable to connect your TV to your cable box. If your cable box does not have HDMI connections, Have you provider give you a new cable box.

I like both of my Panasonics for the value. In my opinion you can only tell the difference in picture quality when they are all next to each other in the store. I bought both if mine from Best Buy on sale. Check for open box and display TVs for extra money off. You can also haggle a bit with the manager, most people don't know that.

I would go with Sony or Samsung. For value brand Vizio. It depends on what you're willing to dish out, but Vizio to me is the best bang for buck.

If price is a factor, I'd go with a plasma, they are excellent quality and much less than LCD and LED tv's. If price is not an issue I'd go with an LED.

We don't really watch that much TV, so when ours went ka-plooie, I bought a used one for next to nothing from one of those people who needed to have a new, thin, high def TV. It fits perfect in our old over-sized cabinet that was hand crafted by some Mennonites in Ontario. Someday, we'll make the transition too I'd sure. The seller was all to happy to get rid of their TV even though it worked perfectly because it would have cost them money to dispose of it.

Thats funny Lon, I have an excellent 32" Sony tv that was the top of the line just before flat screen (has the tube). I would give it away free if someone would bring a helper and come and get it. Dang thing must way 200 pounds. I just don't want any more dinosaurs in my house I can't move myself and I hurt my back carrying this upstairs three years ago with help.

I had one of those as well. 36" Sony Grand WEGA. Kept it for 3 years till I got my first flat panel. A 60" Sony Grand WEGA RPTV cost too embarrassed to say....

Kept that for 3 years then got the 58" Panny Plasma (THX Certified). It cost ALOT of $$$$ to be an "early adopter" let me tell ya....

I have myself and installed many Vizio and Samsung tv's.

LED/LCD use the least power and are considerably lighter than a plasma. Also a plasma will reflect light off the screen due to the front glass.

Sam Club, and Amazon generally have really competitive prices. I am sure costco fits in there as well but I don't have one near me.

Some newer LED's have a ambient light sensor to adjust the picture as the room/ outdoor light hits the screen which is really nice.

If you go with a wall mount you cant beat Amazon's prices. I have used Cheetah and Video Secure wall mounts many many times with no problems for many $$$ less than you can buy one at a big box store. Its just a stamped metal frame to hang a TV, not a rock climbing device than I am trusting my life to.

Latest posts

Back