I might have skipped Primary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkerstone

Addict
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just started on my wine making ventures after deciding to put my old beer brewing started kit to good use.

I'm trying to make 25L of Apple Wine.

So far I've created my must, sugared (straight table sugar & 1kg inverted), BUT I've gone and put my mixture straight into demijohns with airlocks.

They've only been in for 2-3 days so I can take off the airlocks straight away if that will be best.

SG hasn't changed much so I'm guessing this is an indicator of failing yeast?

I've not been too worried because I've seen a fairly constant stream of CO2 from the locks but had a niggling feeling in my head today when I was wondering where the Yeast would continue getting it's oxygen.

My thought is that the yeast I added is doing what it can but dying due to starvation or at least not growing massively and the idea should be to:
1 Create a fertile breading environment and let the yeast multiply like crazy.
2 Close the environment and let them eat the sugar and die
3 Enjoy

Any help on whether or not I should uncork would be much appreciated. Should I add more yeast?

Thanks a lot

Dan

If you have activity in your air lock, and it's pretty steady, you're ok.

Most people primary ferment in a bucket or some other sort of container, due to using fruit. If you're using a juice or concentrate, and don't have fruit bits lying around, then you should be OK to continue in your current containers.

The wines I have all done have been in glass carboys the entire time, from primary to secondary and tomorrow or Wednesday to bottling! The only issue with using carboys for primary fermentation is that you will have a lot of slurry in the bottom and you usually either need a smaller carboy to rack into or a similar wine to top off with!

Good luck!

I used apples to make mine, no concentrate.

I'm just really worried that as the yeast and must has gone straight under air lock all the bubbles will slowly fade and die and I'll be left with very sweet apple juice -_- :'(

You're sure there's no need to worry?

If you are getting CO2 out of your air lock, then it is fermenting. You probably have enough O2 in the solution already for the yeast. Many people keep their primary under air lock, some simply cover it with cheese cloth.

Unless someone else with more experience were to say otherwise, I'd say you're good to go. Just keep checking your hydrometer readings so you know when it's ready for secondary, and to ensure it doesn't stall.

I would try and at least get some 02 in there by agitating it. How much spate room is in there. A primary bucket has a large surface area for good oxygen exposure and demi johns dont so you may be starving your yeast of this oxygen. Also, what is thd temp as this can also slow downfermentation which isnt a bad thing when doing fruit wined but you will want to get the temp up near the end to make sure it finishes.

The exposed area is minute, there's hardly any room between the liquid and cork.

It's no problem at all for me to uncork and stir them ocassionally as if doing the primary fermentation, guess all I'd lose is the advantage of racking and clearing in between.

If i just leave it as is what would be the between that and 2nd fermentation?

Just to make sure I'm clear the fermentation mix hasn't spent any time exposed to the air, I made my must in a bucket then racked into demi's in order to avoid all the crap and added yeast there then put the locks straight on

Sorry Wade to answer your question they're in a cupboard kept at a constant 24C (75F)

If you have a fermenter bucket, I would move it over there and bypass some potential problems. You do not have enough headspace to keep adequate 02 in the must for the yeast. That will increase the surface area tremendously and allow for a vigorous fermentation, otherwise you can get a stinky unhealthy fermentation that may end up stuck. Even in the bucket, it wouldn't hurt to open it once a day for a good stir with a sterile spoon.

If it decides to really take off, all the co2, foam, and excess liquid are gonna come out the airlock. You need some headspace when the ferment gets going good or it will try and make its own. One big reason why folks usually say ferment down to 1.010 or so before you go to secondary. If I was gonna leave it in the carboy, I would probably take some of the must out for headspace and set the carboy in a big plastic bag or a tube to catch the mess if it turns into a wine volcano. Arne.

Thanks, I'll get it back in the bucket to be safe. The wifes already complaining that its kicking off a right stink so I think that must be the signs grapeman describes, there's plenty of CO2 being emitted so I'd rather shift it and avoid the mess if you think it could get worse.

I've just remeasured and the SG has dropped very slightly. But given that its only been 4 days I'm not expecting too much.

Ahh the benefits of hindsight. Arne brings a good point -- I've had some wine volcanos occur in my basement. It's a mess to clean up, and can get everywhere.

It's amazing how your memory only lends to remember all the good things, and forget the bad.

It hasn't kicked off then? its still fizing away gently..
Maybe I added a bit too much sugar? Starting sg was a hair over 090.

I'm hoping it was just the lack of oxygen and things will pick up now. If not is the next best step adding Yeast?

Its been bucketed now for two days and is down to 062 :) so Im pretty happy its moving forward.

I'll keep updating this for anyone thats interested and hopefully provide insight to anyone else who makes a simmilar blunder.

So to offer anyone who's interested a bit of an update:

I stuck the lot in the bucket and replaced in the cupboard with lid loosely fitted.
Fermentation then continued quickly and by Sunday the 1st id hit 0.32 SG and decided to rack.

I racked the 25lt back into the 5lt demijohns, got rid of a lot of sediment, fitted airlocks and returned to the cupboard.

I then had a baby! (Well my wife did) and so had a healthy distraction from the wine :) irrelevant but I'm an excited new dad!

When we came out of the hospital a few days after (5th) the SG had continued dropping steadily, by the 7th I had reached .010

For the past few days a couple of them have sat at around .000 and the rest look like they're a hair over .998. They're still fizzing away gently so I'm guessing I should now start stirring to try and degas? Then give them some time to clear? Would it be a good idea to rack again at this point as I can see a good layer of sediment at the bottom?

When I added my sugar to begin with and took a reading I thought I had cocked up as I was getting a PA of 15.5%, throughout the process I've added water here and there due to re-bucketing and racking so that undoubtedly counts for some drop. How could I more accurately determine the A%?

Whats the next best step?

Cheers All

Dan

Latest posts

Back