I messed up...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmcirig

Reaction score
Ijust started making my first batch of wine on Saturday (7/28)

The directions said to put the lid back onto the primary bucket & leave for 5-7 days... So thats what I did. But I was just looking at some pastthreads & read that people put the airlock into the hole at the top of the bucket.

smiley19.gif
I didn't do that. Did I ruin the wine? Should I go right home & put that airlock into the hole??? Will it be okay??

smiley35.gif

Not everyone uses an airlock during primary frementation. I dont even use a lid. I put a sanatized cloth over the bucket and use a home made rubber band to hold it in place.
After you transfer to a carboy then install the airlock. (the airlock is for the anaerobic fermentation where the alcohol is produced by the yeast.

I dont think you are in trouble but the more experienced folks will soon advise you further.

It will be fine Lisa. I never use an airlock on mine. I just put the lid on loosely and letit ferment or do as scotty said and just put a cloth over the top.

If you cinched the lid down tight then you may want to use an airlock or just take the lid off and then place it back onon loosely. Either way, your wine will be fine

On the other hand, we will take the mess of your hands. Friends are always ready to help
smiley17.gif

Thanks! I was a bit worried.

Scotty- thanks for the offer, at least I know I can count on you
smiley36.gif

You should be fine Lisa as long as no flying (winged) objects got into your wine. Once you rack into glass however, make sure you keep the airlock on and the carboy topped up.

If you however chose scotty's suggestion, just PM me and I'll send you his address.............
smiley4.gif

Hi Lisa, You either ned to put thae lid and airlock on, put the lid on
and cover the hole with a cloth that will let it breath, or leave the
lid off and cover with a cloth so that no bugs get in there as they can
spoil your wine and you will end up with a lot of vinegar or just a nasty batch of wine.

Edited by: wade

Lisa your wine will be fine, however If you have an airlock I would use it. iT protectsthe fermenting wine from infection while allowing the CO2 to escape. As jobe05 mentioned too many flying things around that love wine as much as we do. Again if you have it use it.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

And I am so TIRED of the fruit flies!
smiley7.gif
It was so wet here the first part of the summer and now they're just having a great time!
smiley7.gif

Thank you. I feel better now.

I know what you mean pwp. they have been horrendous here too. I have pretty good look keeping a small fan blowing across my fermenters. Keeps them at bay pretty well.

With my new room they arent coming around for some reason and that
makes me happy as they were just killing me the last few years on my
little spot I had going before.

Latest posts

Back