I Just Cant Resist!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, so, while thumbing through "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader", I cam across the following...

GRAPE JUICE - In 1869, Dr. Thomas Welch, Christian, Dentist, and prohibitionist, invented "unfermented wine" - Grape Juice - so that fellow teatotalers would not be forced into the contradiction (as he saw it) of drinking alcohol in church. Local pastors were not interested, so he gave up and went back to pulling teeth. His son, Charles, began selling it as grape juice in 1871..

So class, what can we learn from this...

1) Welch's was engineered to be drank as a juice and NOT as a fermented beverage.
2) It was so bad that pastors wouldn't serve it to their congregations.
3) Thomas was a dentist. One must wonder if a bit of masochism is at play here.
4) Welch's was invented by a person that hated even the idea of wine.
5) The inventor of Welch's would view fermenting his creation as a sacrilegious act.

With a reference source as highly regarded as the bathroom reader, how can one argue the facts. Think of my closed minded opinion of Welch's as me simply attempting to honor the wishes of its inventor.

:)

Last edited:
OK, so, while thumbing through "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader", I cam across the following...

GRAPE JUICE - In 1869, Dr. Thomas Welch, Christian, Dentist, and prohibitionist, invented "unfermented wine" - Grape Juice - so that fellow teatotalers would not be forced into the contradiction (as he saw it) of drinking alcohol in church. Local pastors were not interested, so he gave up and went back to pulling teeth. His son, Charles, began selling it as grape juice in 1871..

So class, what can we learn from this...

1) Welch's was engineered to be drank as a juice and NOT as a fermented beverage.
2) It was so bad that pastors wouldn't serve it to their congregations.
3) Thomas was a dentist. One must wonder if a bit of masochism is at play here.
4) Welch's was invented by a person that hated even the idea of wine.
5) The inventor of Welch's would view fermenting his creation as a sacrilegious act.

With a reference source as highly regarded as the bathroom reader, how can one argue the facts. Think of my closed minded opinion of Welch's as me simply attempting to honor the wishes of its inventor.

I did a spit-take with my coffee at the idea of you doing a little victory dance, considering where "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader" is usually read!

But good facts and good stuff!
and I love "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader" and consider it the only source on everything you need to know, ever!
:slp

Last edited:
Why John, just why? :)

Always remember one thing, acceptance is the first step.

Can't wait to do my first Welch's wine just to see what all the fuss is about. I've had 2 concord grape wines from wineries in Door County, WI recently and they were both good. Not wines that I would drink often but a nice change of pace.

out of curiosity John, is it all Welches products you despise as wine or just concord grapes as wine?
Mike

In short, both.

This is really just about me and my tastes. Honestly, and all kidding aside, and in my heart of hearts, I really do not fault those that like concord or Welch's provided that this is your true tastes. Admitting this, I also feel that it should be ok to voice my own tastes and opinions.

What you might call "Foxyness" is not a trait that I look for in a good wine. Chalk it up to how I was raised. To me, it is like expecting spring water only to be surprised by bilge. I know that there are those that like the taste of concord grapes, but to me it tastes like is needs some peanut butter to go with it. Native grapes just do not do it for me (except for most nortons if aged correctly)

Please consider this no different then someone orating a diatribe on the bad taste of spinach, while liking it yourself. It is not a comment on your tastes, but is just a comment on my own personal tastes.

Waaiit, wait, wait, wait....

You rigged it, didnt you............. Uncle JohnT........

:wy

Mhmm... You mighta fooled these folks, but I see you..

I see you...

Dam it Rich, I drink Earl Grey tea!

JohnT, I'm thinking that you have gone soooooo long without wine that you are craving Welch's and you are trying your best to fight the craving! :) :) :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back