I goofed and put in the sorbate before I put in the yeast. What can I do to correct this problem?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I goofed and put sorbate in before I added the yeast. What can I do to correct this problem?
I agree with QuiQuog. Have you added the yeast at this time? If so, hope for the best from this first addition. If not, I would make up a vigorous colony of yeast using yeast, water and sugar and add it. Secondly, the yeast you use will be important and I would recommend the good old "turbo yeast" Lalvin EC1118. Watch your hydrometer readings and when the fermentation stalls, add more yeast. Your final result may not be the best wine you ever make, but you will learn a lot from the experience.

Can you tell us the kit and variety you are using?

All solid advice, especially using EC-1118. Folks have fermented commercial juices containing sorbate, and while it's a difficult ferment, it's not impossible.

Make an overnight starter, my method is here. Given your situation, I'd 8 Tbsp sugar and let the starter work 24 hours to build a larger initial colony.

Hmmm ... make 2 starters with EC-1118 and add both at once.

All solid advice, especially using EC-1118. Folks have fermented commercial juices containing sorbate, and while it's a difficult ferment, it's not impossible.

Make an overnight starter, my method is here. Given your situation, I'd 8 Tbsp sugar and let the starter work 24 hours to build a larger initial colony.

Hmmm ... make 2 starters with EC-1118 and add both at once.

I might go even further and make those 2 (maybe 4) starters to add all at once. Then make 2 (or 4) more to add in a few days, before you see real signs of things slowing down. You are going to have to do the budding and getting more yeast babies ready to eat sugar outside of your ferment, probably.

Thank you everyone for your help. I will be more alert next time I make a batch!
Also if it gets stuck. I would recommend also using go-ferm (which is a restarter yeast) i think it should still work, the only issue is sorbates job is to ensure fermentation doesn’t restart.

I learned a long time ago to ALWAYS read the label.
Copy that… I once dumped about 4 I lbs of citric acid into 20 gallons of must thinking it was sugar! Luckily I licked my fingers before I stirred (it was still in a mainly dry pile) so I was able to scoop it all out!

Latest posts

Back