Hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Tocco

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum And kinda new to winemaking. I’ve just crushed some Cabernet. I took some hydrometer readings. My question is, should you strain the must and let it get to room temp before I take my readings? I try to get only the juice when taking readings, but their is a lot of grape skins that get in the way. If I strain the must, am I making it too thin and getting incorrect readings? Should the must be room temp. Thanks

1) Temperature variations are not that significant perhaps a reading of 1.052 might change to 1.050 with temperature correction - nothing to worry about really.

2) It would be best to avoid getting any skins or pulp in the SG sample tube. I usually take a measuring cup that I've sanitized inside and out and slide it down with the mouth of the cup against the bucket wall. That way the only place for the juice to come into the measuring cup is at the edges and the little pouring lip. That should keep out enough to get you a good sample. Straining the sample should not affect the reading. Just be sure that all the grapes have been well crushed. I normally start preparing a batch one day taking readings for pH and SG = trying to get everything where I want it. THEN the next day I do one last pre-ferment set of readings to make sure everything is just where I want it. Sometimes it takes even longer to get sugars released from the fruit/grapes and any added sugar dissolved. (Dissolving sugar is not an issue with grape wines since most folks normally go with no additional sugar.)

1) Temperature variations are not that significant perhaps a reading of 1.052 might change to 1.050 with temperature correction - nothing to worry about really.

2) It would be best to avoid getting any skins or pulp in the SG sample tube. I usually take a measuring cup that I've sanitized inside and out and slide it down with the mouth of the cup against the bucket wall. That way the only place for the juice to come into the measuring cup is at the edges and the little pouring lip. That should keep out enough to get you a good sample. Straining the sample should not affect the reading. Just be sure that all the grapes have been well crushed. I normally start preparing a batch one day taking readings for pH and SG = trying to get everything where I want it. THEN the next day I do one last pre-ferment set of readings to make sure everything is just where I want it. Sometimes it takes even longer to get sugars released from the fruit/grapes and any added sugar dissolved. (Dissolving sugar is not an issue with grape wines since most folks normally go with no additional sugar.)

Thank you. This helps a lot

Latest posts

Back