hydrometer use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a first time wine maker. I am trying to make a merlot and a pinot grigio. I started the fermentation stage 9 days ago. I keep the buckets in my basement which is between 67-70 degrees. I never took a hydrometer reading when I started but wanted to see if it was time for my first racking. I took a sample of the wines and put the red in the tube and then the hydrometer, it sunk to the bottom of the tube. I tried the white and the same thing happened. I tried with just water and the meter floated with a reading of 1.01. Am I just rushing the wine? Am I using the meter wrong? The air stoppers have stopped bubbling. Should I just rack it anyway? Is the temparture in my basement to cold? Any comments for this first time wine maker would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

Hello...and welcome.

When the hydrometer sinks to the bottom your wine is dry and finished fermenting........at least that's how I read it.

Rack your wine.

Edited by: Northern Winos

A stable reading consecutive of a few days is when its done fermenting. You should have a test tube or wine thief that is deep enough for you to be able to float the hydrometer in no matter what the hydrometer says. Most wines will finish off around .996 but some may actually go down a little under .990. At that point you should be done no matter what.

Latest posts

Back