Hydrometer Thermometer combination

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhattin

Reaction score
Does any one know if there is aa allinone package for a hydrometer/thermometer?
Seems like a simple and convenient thing to do.
Ric

They make them, I don't stock them at the moment. Check some of the Canadian web sites for them, too expensive to ship to you guys to make it worth your while.
For the rest of the folks here south of the border (US/Canadian) I'll get them in soon.

Yeah they make them - I got my several years ago. I think it was from winemakersdepot.com but can't remember.

They are are few bucks more but well worth it...

I would like to see a hydrometer, thermometer, PH, TA and so2 combo meter. That would be awesome.

What is the advantage of a combo hydrometer and thermometer. If you are making 50 or 100 gallons of wine at a time I can see the temperature of the must might rise to critical levels but for anyone making five or six gallons at a time is there any good reason to measure the temperature of the wine as opposed to having some sense of the ambient temperature of the room? Do people take regular readings of the temperature of the must?

Measurements with hydrometers all have a temperature at which the were standardized. Unless you are measuring a liquid at the standardized temp, a correction is necessary. The larger the temp differential, the larger the correction.
To take his further, high quality hydrometers need to be calibrated. The paper scale can move or the weighting change. Even durther, you should even calibrate a thermometer.
In the end it's all about understanding fluid dynamics and the error you are willing to accept in your measurements.

Back