Hydrometer - Test Jar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadCow

Junior
Reaction score
Hi

I've had a search but can't find the answer to my current puzzlement!

I'm about to use a hydrometer for the first time but don't have a test tube. Can I use an ordinary drinking glass or a glass jar or does it have to be something tall and thin?

(Yet another of the questions I never knew I'd have to ask.) :p

I use the tube it came in or just drop in the bucket if its deep enough. if you use a jar make sure its taller than the hydrometer.

Hi

I've had a search but can't find the answer to my current puzzlement!

I'm about to use a hydrometer for the first time but don't have a test tube. Can I use an ordinary drinking glass or a glass jar or does it have to be something tall and thin?

(Yet another of the questions I never knew I'd have to ask.) :p

Yes, you can use those. Just make sure it's clean and sanitized because you'll likely be putting the wine back into its original container (bucket or carboy).

I use the tube it came in or just drop in the bucket if its deep enough. if you use a jar make sure its taller than the hydrometer.

Don't drop it, set it in there. I remember doing this with a fishtank thermometer when we were little and when it hit the bottom of the tank, there went the thermometer.

Don't drop it, set it in there. I remember doing this with a fishtank thermometer when we were little and when it hit the bottom of the tank, there went the thermometer.

...and that night the whole family had sushi for dinner.:):):)

That will work, it's just easier to read out of a test tube for me rather than a cup.

Yes, you can use those. Just make sure it's clean and sanitized because you'll likely be putting the wine back into its original container (bucket or carboy).

Ah, that answers my next question: it's okay to put the wine back in the carboy.

And there was me looking forward to having an excuse to sample some!

:p

They sell a plastic wine thief that fits the hydrometer perfectly and allows you to push it against the side of the neck to put the wine back in. It's worth the money for it.

Ah, that answers my next question: it's okay to put the wine back in the carboy.

And there was me looking forward to having an excuse to sample some!

:p

Thats not a problem however never return wine to a carboy or drink if you've added any test chemicals to it. That should go without saying. But it is ok to sample.

Latest posts

Back