hydrometer readings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llnicely

Reaction score
I am noticing a difference in hydrometer readings when taken directly from primary fermentation bucket and from a test tube. Does anyone have an answer as to why thy would differ. They differ by a degree or two, not significant, but I am curious as to why. Thank you.

It probably is the angle you are viewing them at. When it is in the primary bucket, you are viewing down at an angle. When viewing the test tube, you are probably just about straight on. The test tube would be the more accurate reading, andread the lower part of the liquid, not where it curves up on the side. If you take a couple test readings and view from the same angles every time, you can use that(let's say 1 point) difference to make a correction.

By the way welcome to the forum. I hope you stay a while and share your experiences.

llnicely, 1st of all welcome. 2nd of all, there is also another factor that could be playing games with this situation. You are probably trying to take a areading in an active fermentation and the bubbles that are forming around your hydrometer are 1, causing it to float just a tad higher, 2, causing you to read the hydrometer a tad higher also cause you cant see through the bubbles.

Welcome llnicely...hope you stay awhile.
I would agree with the above facts...also...hope the bottom of the hydrometer wasn't touching the bottom of the primary...?

I did notice the other day that my K-Meta cleaning solution has a higher S.G. than plain water...Anyone else ever take the reading of their cleaning solution???...wonder if it varies with the strength????Edited by: Northern Winos

NW,

You obviously don't have enough wine to process. Taking SG's of sulfite solution?
smiley29.gif
Just don't start any experiments and blow your place up. But I would guess more sulfites equals higher SG.

NW, yes, dissolving any solid in water will increase the sg. It is a standard QC test method in the chemical industry.

Latest posts

Back