Hydrometer question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikez104

Reaction score
Ok, this is my first attempt at wine. The guy I work with has been making it for several years and he gave me a bottle and I really liked it. He said that I could get some wine juice and do my own. Yesterday, I picked up some basics and today I picked up a 6 gallon bucket of Pinot Noir. I have my buddy's advice and what I have read on this forum as my only training.

On the bucket it gives directions of what to do. Step one, open it up, let it warm up to 76 and wait 7 to 10 days. I opened it and it is warming up. check.

I have read that i am to get a Specific Gravity reading at the begining so I used my EZ clean and cleaned my equipment and took some of the must out and measured it. I took a picture (I want to keep track of what I'm doing).

Problem #1 - I'm not sure how to read this thing. Here is a picture of what I got.

""http://flic.kr/p/8LJeZB""

Problem #2 - I took a few pictures of the bucket and went back and looked at the hydrometer again and now it's WAY different. What gives? Is it because it warmed up? I spun it like it said.

""http://flic.kr/p/8LMnmS""

Looks like I cant post pictures or links so please remove the quotes around the URLs to see the pictures. Any help or insight would be great. Thanks!

What is the name of the kit maker and the name of the kit?
You didn't mention adding yeast. did you?

Make sure your hydrometer is not clinging to the wall of the vessel it is in.
The hydrometer should be able to set in the liquid for days without it changing its reading, unless the liquid is fermenting toward dry, in which case it will read a lower SG every 12 hours or so.

There are how to topic under wine making. I would read these *** much as possible.

Good luck.

First off, great photos. However, I'd tend to believe the second reading as it's just about where you want to be .... 1.070. Great starting point. Only you can tell what happened between reading one and reading two.

Is it possible the first reading didn't have enough juice in the jar and the hydrometer was bottoming out?

It may have had some bubbles stuck on it.? I checked the same sample and left the hydrometer in it and it settled and read 1.070.

It is fresh juice and I'm just following the instructions on the bucket.
"http://flic.kr/p/8LJhM2"
"http://flic.kr/p/8LMj9Y"
I looked up Luva Bella (which was printed real small on the front) and found the winery this came from and it has more detailed instructions.

I checked it this morning and there is lots of foam. The sample that I had the hydrometer in was also bubbling. I have the lid just laying on the top.

It says to stir it twice a day for 7 to 10 days in the more detailed instructions. What do most people use for this? Just a big spoon? Do I have to use the EZ clean stuff on it every time? I'm not sure and don't want to contaminate the batch.

Just a big spoon? Do I have to use the EZ clean stuff on it every time? I'm not sure and don't want to contaminate the batch.
Yes, a big plastic spoon. Get one from your LHBS. Is EZ-clean a cleaner or a sanitizer? You should clean AND sanitize every time. I use a bigger primary, so I can leave the spoon in it, and still put the lid on top. You can't do that because you're doing your primary ferment in the pail that the juice came in. BTW, make sure it is in an easy to clean place (no rugs) as there is a possibility of the foam overflowing. Bathtub?

Steve

The EZ clean is just what the guy said to clean my equipment with before using. Not sure exactly what it is. I picked up a big spoon at lunch time. The supply place is only 5 minutes away from the office. Can I keep the mixed cleaner in a spray bottle? Will it keep and still be affective?

The EZ clean is just what the guy said to clean my equipment with before using. Not sure exactly what it is. I picked up a big spoon at lunch time. The supply place is only 5 minutes away from the office. Can I keep the mixed cleaner in a spray bottle? Will it keep and still be affective?

Cleanser and sanitizer are two different things which was just brought to my attention as well. My kit only included cleanser so thats all I used the first batch so far, but I did just pick up a sanitizer. Not sure if it is going to affect my first batch but I was told that you need to sanitize everything before using not just cleanser. Good luck!

Hear is the stuff. Not sure if it is good for both or not.
8LW9m2

"http://flic.kr/p/8LW9m2"

Hear is the stuff. Not sure if it is good for both or not.
8LW9m2

"http://flic.kr/p/8LW9m2"

Mike,
To create a proper URL link, which can be clicked upon, Look at the top of the reply window. You will see a globe with what looks like a paper clip (chain link) below it.
Click that icon and it will allow you to enter a url link.

Cleanser and sanitizer are two different things which was just brought to my attention as well. My kit only included cleanser so thats all I used the first batch so far, but I did just pick up a sanitizer. Not sure if it is going to affect my first batch but I was told that you need to sanitize everything before using not just cleanser. Good luck!

Good Luck with you first batch. I'm on day 2 of my first. Hopefully everything will go well. I'm not very patient though. I feel like I have to start another...

Mike,

I do not believe this stuff is a sanitizer and you do need to sanitize your equipment. Did you buy this at a wine/beer supply shop?

I have never used anything other than EZ Clean and haven't had any problems.

This is what I have found on EZ Clean....

What is the difference between a sanitizer and a cleanser?

* In the U.S.A., the word sanitizer is a legal term defined by the Environmental Protection Agency. In order for a product to be called a sanitizer in promotional literature or on its packaging, that product must be approved by the EPA, assigned a registration number, and have an open file maintained with the EPA. Unless a company would like to invest an enormous amount of capitol in this process (or use another company's product through a process called "sub-registration"), they may not call their product a sanitizer.
* If you purchase a bottle of bleach from the grocery store, unless it shows an EPA registration number on the front of the label, it is not a sanitizer. However, it will certainly be a good cleanser (although somewhat hazardous, not environmentally sound, and it will require rinsing).
* Is Easy Clean (One Step) a sanitizer?
* Read the above question and draw your own conclusions. Easy Clean (One Step) has been used with excellent results since 1992.
* For best results, Easy Clean (One Step) requires a 30 second contact time.
* If you feel you must sanitize equipment and bottles for added protection after cleaning, use your favorite sanitizer or use 2 oz of sodium or potassium metabisulphite and mix with 1 gallon of water. Coat all surfaces and remove excess by draining or let drip dry. There is no need to completely dry sulphite solution before using equipment or filling bottles with wine or beer.

http://www.homebrewit.com/wine-beer-sanitizers.php

Mike,

I do not believe this stuff is a sanitizer and you do need to sanitize your equipment. Did you buy this at a wine/beer supply shop?

Yes, my friend have been using it for years and never had any issues.

DaniJ323, do you just shake the excess off? Example, I stirred the must this morning and before stirring, I rinsed the spoon off with hot water and sprayed the ez clean all over the spoon, waited a little while shook off any excess then stirred. That's ok?

Mike,
To create a proper URL link, which can be clicked upon, Look at the top of the reply window. You will see a globe with what looks like a paper clip (chain link) below it.
Click that icon and it will allow you to enter a url link.

Sorry, I had not yet had 5 posts and the forum would not let me post links or pictures. I'm past the initial 5 posts now so no more funky links :)

Easy Clean (One Step) is not meant to be rinsed off.

So I guess I'm ok then. Thanks. You've got quite the array of projects there. I think I counted 14 or 15 carboys in your lineup! Julie is no slouch either. Can't wait to start another batch.

I use EZ-Clean for cleaning glassware and things like that. My package says 1 minute minimum contact, no rinsing required.

For my hydrometer, I just use a meta solution. With EZ-Clean, you're supposed to always use a fresh batch, and I don't want to mix it up just to sanitize my hydrometer, test jar and wine thief.

Latest posts

Back