Hydrometer Broke in my Banana Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Segarram

Reaction score
I started some banana wine last Friday and have been stirring it once a day and checking the SG. Stupid me, I tried moving the straining bag a little out of the way, using the hydrometer, so I can get a reading and it broke in my hand. Some, but not much, of the pieces of glass fell on top of the straining bag. I was able to remove pieces of the visible glass that fell on top of the straining bag. I think I got all the piece but I'm not sure.

My question is, should I get rid of this batch of wine or if there's still remnants of glass in the wine, will I be able to get rid of it when I rack? :slp

ouch, we just had an identicle thread, the wine was tossed, but I cannot speak for you, personally, I would have a hard time trusting the wine.

If I were you , I would rent or borrow a filter and run it thru it, prior to bottling/drinking. Glass is something you don't want to ingest.

If I were you , I would rent or borrow a filter and run it thru it, prior to bottling/drinking. Glass is something you don't want to ingest.

That's a great idea. I'm sure my local brewery store has a filter I can rent or borrow.

Does anyone know if there are any harmful gasses or chemicals inside hydrometers? Any info is appreciated.

No, there should be nothing harmful in the hydrometer. Just be careful of the broken glass.

i would filter for sure...if a piece of glass made its way thru a 1 micron filter, it wont hurt you...
ironic..the first thread i ever read here, said buy 2 hydrometers, becuase one will break when you need it most...I bought 4...knock on wood, have not broke one yet.

i would filter for sure...if a piece of glass made its way thru a 1 micron filter, it wont hurt you...
ironic..the first thread i ever read here, said buy 2 hydrometers, becuase one will break when you need it most...I bought 4...knock on wood, have not broke one yet.
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER tempt the gods of broken hydrometer. They take infinite pleasure in causing you grief.

James, hope you are knocking on that piece of wood hard. I am afraid you just jinxed yourself. :)Arne.

I broke my first one washing it. Now I'm extra careful. I was surprised how thin the glass was.

Yep, the glass was very thin. I was surprised how easy it broke. I will definitely buy two hydrometers next time. I actually made 6 gallons of banana wine but split the MUST into two 3 gallon batches and pitched different yeast types in each bucket. I'm so glad I did after what happen. Some of my friends say I can also try filtering the wine with a large coffee filter but I think that'll take forever to complete.

Latest posts

Back