Hydrometer and ABV%

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhkr

Reaction score
So my first batch is slowing WAY down to the point of the SG hasn't moved in 24 hours. However here's my question, more of a "I need verification" than question. 11 days ago I started my very first batch of grape concorde concentrate wine. I'm only doing 1gal batches right now. I started with an SG reading of 1.20 (16.3%), it is currently standing still at 1.006....I think. 3 dashes below 1.000 (aprox 1.0%?) So if I did my simple math right, does this mean I have a 15.3% ABV wine? I used EC-1118 yeast which I know can produce up to 18%. So I taste tested it this evening, tastes a bit "sharp" but not to bitter. I've already racked to get most of the must off the lees, added 1 tablet of K-meta and 1/2tsp of Potassium Sorbate to slow/stop what remaining fermentation might be going on. Also added 1/4tsp of Gelatin and 1/8tsp Sulphite crystals to aid in clearing (may have added to many things, but I'm learning.....please correct me if I'm wrong here).

So how long do I continue to check SG to ensure fermentation is complete as I would like to take a bottle of this over to the family for Christmas next week. Also, I am planning on back sweetening so my wife can enjoy a little of this as well. If I add sugar, thusly raising the SG, this won't "lower" the ABV right? But I know I want to be sure there is no further yeast cells chowing down before I do this too.....hence the question above. :)

Anyways, I'm so excited in getting this wine ready to bottle. With any luck by Tuesday just in time for a little family time. I know it won't be crystal clear by then, but hey they're family and I can take criticism from family!

Wow, from pitching the yeast to drinking in 19 days is ultra fast. Time does magical things to fermented grape juice. Flavors integrate, solids drop out and the flavor change can be quite dramatic.

Next time I would slow down and finish each step completely. Make sure you have proper nutrients and let the wine go all the way to 1.000 before adding stuff. Then rack, sulfite and give it time.

My first welches wine taste like a cheap mix drink; the wine just could not support that much alcohol and taste good, which is probably the sharpness you are tasting.

If you are going to drink it next week, additional fermentation is not a problem.

The day you want to drink the wine (or the night before), rack it to remove what remaining sediment you can, degass, and backsweeten. If there is any yeast left, it won't have time to do much fermenting.

If I add sugar, thusly raising the SG, this won't "lower" the ABV right?

No. If dissolve the sugar before mixing in, there will be some dilution, but not anything significant.

Last edited:
Have to agree with NorCal, Slow Down.
In the future, start your batches earlier so they have some time to mellow.......at least a couple of months.

If you were doing the Super Sugar method, you are pretty much done. I would highly recommend keeping a bottle or two back and trying it in a couple/few months. It will be amazing the difference that time makes.

Typically, instructions suggest allowing 3 days of "no change in SG." to consider fermentation stopped. You are focusing too much on Alcohol :ft . What you want to bring to the table will NOT be representative of what winemaking is about at all.. The TIME ingredient is one of the most important for something worthwhile!!

The "ABV" numbers you see on your hydrometer are properly termed "Potential ABV." That is, this number represents the potential amount of alcohol you could get if (1) you are starting with a solution of just water and sugar (and flavorings, etc., just no alcohol), and (2) all of the sugars present are fermented to dry.

Your procedure of subtracting the two percentages is more or less correct. However, the best thing to do is to use the following formula: (StartingSG - FinalSG)*131 = ABV.

One more thing: your first SG was certainly 1.120, not 1.200.

And finally, let me chime in on the "time" thing. The old saying is that you only get one chance to make a first impression. I would be wary of bringing crappy wine to friends as my first effort. They may ALWAYS think that your wine is like that, even if you eventually begin to produce Opus One quality wine.

Thanks everyone. I knew my first batch wouldn't be awesome, as I'm sure all first batches come out quicker than they should. That's why the batch I have going on now will go the full term!

Latest posts

Back