Hurricane Katrina

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My heart goes out to all of you who are afflicted by this.

I hope everyone on this forum is safe and sound.

M.

Looks like Texas will be the new home for tens of thousands of people being evacuated from New Orleans.....

Price of gas here went from 2.61 last night to 2.92 this morning.....
smiley7.gif

My friend's sister from Gulfport has called and is safe.
smiley4.gif
1 less thing to worry about now. Gas hit $3 at noon in Grand Forks. Thank goodness part of my trip this weekend will be on the train.

Good news from anywhere is great news today. Where are you, Princess. I think wifey said it is $2.68/gallon still here. I have faith our government officials are responding the best they can in the overwhelming circumstances.

Yes, The Astrodome is taking in 500 busloads of people....about 23,000 and other shelters are opening all over. We started gathering medical supplies at work today to take to one of the shelters.

I just can't believe the pictures of those poor people sitting on the highway in 95 degree plus heat......and the looters, they should be shot!!!

Ramona

It is a disaster that should not have happened. I heard today that the levies were only built to withstand a category 3 hurricane. They have been saving for years this was going to happen, but yet, nothing was done to shore up the levies.

My hope is that everyone affected can get their lives back together as soon as possible. I know there is a lot of money being raised. WBAP, the radio station on which I advertise, raised over $100,000 just today with people driving to a mall. Americans are really GREAT people.
smiley32.gif

Another aspect of the tragedy that is often overlooked is the plight of the animals and pets that were left behind. There is a little known group out there whose efforts are dedicated to the cause of rescuing them. If you would like to learn more about them and support their efforts you can get the information at

www.noahswish.com

Cove Cottage said:
All is well here in Panama City but we were ready to get outta here if Katrina took a jog to the East. Has anyone heard from Smurfe??? Ithink he lives in Louisiana not too far from New Orleans.

Smurfe, Let us know if you're OK. Margaret

We are OK here. We live about 30 miles as a crow flies outside of New Orleans. We were lucky and didn't have much damage. I have been at work since it hit. I work for EMS and they are making us stay as we are under a state of emergency. Most of the displaced people from N.O. are here now. Our call volume has went from 100-150 calls a day to close to a thousand a day.

Thanks for thinking of us. We will be fine and if I could go home, would be back to normal here.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe,

Thanks for checking in. Glad to hear you are OK. When you get your life back together and still want to do a Crushendo. I will honor last month's price for you. You have much bigger things to worry about than wine making at this time.

Take care of yourself and your family.

It dropped from 3.08 back to 2.95 here in most places. A few are still at 3.08. I did hear that we should expect it be around 4.00 by years end.
smiley7.gif

We have about 1000 evacuees in Huntsville, TX. You would not believe the
amount volunteering and support everyone is giving. So far as I know
everyone who arrived is being cared for either by the local churches or by
the university and hotels. We've been told to stop bringing stuff as there is
more than enough for right now, but to hold on to it because this situation
is not going away for a while. This tragedy may be bringing out the worst in
some, but here it seems to be bringing out the best.

Smurfe, So glad to hear that you are OK!!!
smiley17.gif
<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /></v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape> When the storm hit your area, I checked out your webpage. Great site for information.

We have 400 evacuees here on Tyndall AFB and I have never seenan outpouring of support like this before in my life. In today’s paper people have listed spare rooms in their homes for evacuees looking for a place to stay (free). Also a group of developers who were getting ready todemolish a hotel, making room for a larger development, stopped the wrecking ball and have refurbished the hotel to house 39 families. Once they get additional AC units they will be able to house 15 more families. If you know of anyone who is in the Panama City area that needs assistance please let me know. Margaret

Minnesota is getting ready to house people at a military facility. It was said that they will certainly be here long enough to need coats and mittens. I'm afraid our weather will be another shock for them.

Perhaps a couple bottle of wine might help knock off the chill.

Latest posts

Back