Howdy! central Illinois - another newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artfulcoyote

Reaction score
About a year and 1/2 and currently fermenting 3 batches! New hobby and have reading all I can get my hands on so to speak. Lotsa questions dont know where to start... But here I is!

Thanks!

Welcome to WMT! New guy myself. Started making kit wine this past January. Wife and I are drinking wine from the first two low end kits. Have two higher end kits bulk aging.

Take care...

Well I'll be, were not too far apart.....maybe 15 minutes. Do you ever go to the Thursday night farmers market at the fairgrounds. There is a winery and brewery there every Thursday from 4-7. With the State Fair going on they won't hold another one until August 22nd. Maybe we can grab a glass some night. It runs until mid-October.

BobR said:
Well I'll be, were not too far apart.....maybe 15 minutes. Do you ever go to the Thursday night farmers market at the fairgrounds. There is a winery and brewery there every Thursday from 4-7. With the State Fair going on they won't hold another one until August 22nd. Maybe we can grab a glass some night. It runs until mid-October.

My wife has been I haven't. Sounds good though. I didn't know wine was present at the market. Sounds good. We'll have to work it out closer to 22nd.

How long you been making wine? What is fav? Or hardest?

Hi Randy,

Yep, there is a winery there every week! On the 22nd, Lasata Winery will be there and Rolling Meadows Brewery is there every week for the beer drinkers. It's a fun time, especially if there is a good winery there. There are two food tents there, so you can eat, drink and be merry. http://www.agr.state.il.us/nightmarket/
I don't make too much wine at all. As a retirement hobby, I enjoy messing with my grapes. I find that they are more forgiving than wine making. Last fall, I made some Concord wine from fresh grapes that I bought from Baxter's Winery in Nauvoo. Since that turned out to be a disaster, I have more grapes ordered this year and will try and learn from my mistakes. The year before, I made a kit wine, but I didn't like that. Last November I made a gallon of strawberry, but I'm thinking it might end up being a better paint striper or carburetor cleaner than a drinkable wine. I have some Concord, Niagara and Catawba grapes. Most won't be producing any grapes until next year.

Welcome from northern illinois. Lots of information here, and it sounds like you have a great start on wine making.

Awesome! I didn't have much luck planting grapes and berries.
Would love to, I have room for some.

Latest posts

Back