How was wine made hundreds of years ago without all the chemicals we have today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BobR said:
Craiger,
I have been getting some cuttings every year, but have not had a great success rate on getting them started. I'll try again next month, but with these people now dying off, I think that the days of the remaining Concords are numbered. Oh well, it's been fun and I do have Concords from four families and the rows are named after each Italian family where the cutting came from. Nope, not trying to change the world....just trying to enjoy it.

As an experienced Gardner and a novice winemaker, this is very cool. You know you only need one plant to propagate. My wife's family is from northern Italy. I'd love to have those vines growing in our yard.

Howdy Stressbaby,

Yeah, I'd just like to expand with clippings from the original plant, that is while I can. Between the past two summers droughts and this years cold winter, I always lose a few plants each year. We just have not had good growing conditions since '09-'10. In 2010, I put 25 plants in the ground and the squirrels dug up 24 of them. In 2011, the heat and lack of rain killed off another 25 or so. Last summer, I hauled water up until September, but they never really grew any. One bunch of plants are 1/4 mile from my house and the others are 1/2 mile from the house. I'm on a well and there is no running water back where the plants are. I do have a few nursery stock grapes ordered this year and if I can get some more old clippings, I should have at least 100 plants in the ground by spring. If I can get the cuttings to root, I hope to have over 100, but we'll wait and see.
Where was your wife's family from? My wife's grandfather on her mothers side came from the Turin area. My clan came from around the hill town of Calascio, that is in the Abruzzo region. Presently, I stay in touch with two police officers that are from the north. One is up on the border and the other is north of the Abruzzo region. I have several friends that are down in Sicily. In fact, they are coming back to visit in a couple of weeks.
If I have good luck on getting the clippings to root this spring and if I have some good left overs, you would be more than welcome to them. We could plan to meet in Hannibal some weekend and maybe even have a glass of wine down at the cave. Last year I had over 100 clippings, but only ended with around 20-25 that rooted. I bought a couple of heat mats a couple of weeks ago, so I am hoping that they will help in the callusing. I'd like a better success rate than 25%. I'd be happy with 50%.

BobR, I lived in sort-of central Illinois awhile. I'd think you could pick up an ag tank at a farm auction reasonable, or scrounge one, then put it on a trailer and haul water if you can. My relatives all live in northwestern Illinois, so I know the drought was bad.

This has been a great thread, especially the old winemaker stories!

In recent times, commercial wine has greatly improved. (Think back to the Almaden and Lancer's and lord knows what we drank long ago!) When it comes to the quality of wine we are all really spoiled.

With all due respect to our ancestors: They made wine the best way they knew how. I think we should do the same.

NS

I lived in sort-of central Illinois awhile. .

So what you are trying to tell me is, you got smart and moved out before the whole place comes tumbling down?
Yeah, my brother has a 300 gallon tank, but he's been hauling water for his well since the summer of 2011. Others around me have also been hauling all year, but so far, we have never had to haul. Last summer was worse than in 2011. What makes it even worse is trying to justify using the well water to water the grapes when you don't know if you'll have water from one day to the next. So far so good this year, the water table is back up again. It would be nice to have a normal summer. The only good thing about this drought has been not having to cut grass.

I have nothing to add, but what a great series of postings.

I agree.
But I do have to say that one thing that has changed for the good( I think) is that we do have great forums like this one.Without this site I wouldn't have known where to start and how to finish :try

Hi Bob,
I'm not sure what part of Italy...mountains in northern Italy is what I know but I will try to find out.
Central IL...we just drove thru Springfield and Champaign this past weekend. I will pm you.

Yeah, Champaign is not a bad area...always seems to be something going on over there. Back 15 plus years ago, I worked for the University of Illinois for 3 years. Loved my job, but got tired of driving close to 180 miles round trip each day. Spent the day over there yesterday, had lunch and had an enjoyable visit. Alto Vineyard, which is a southern Illinois winery, they have a tasting room over on the north edge of Champaign, just north of I-74, so whenever I'm over there, I end my day with a visit to Alto. On your way across 74, between Champaign and Danville is Sleepy Creek Winery. It's a few miles south of 74, but if you have never been there, it's a nice place. They have a nice sized vineyard and everyone seems to be real friendly.

Yours in the Spirit of ChIef Illiniwek!

So what you are trying to tell me is, you got smart and moved out before the whole place comes tumbling down?

Left Illinois for the South during the Rust Belt days, 1982. When we left to move to Virginia, unemployment statewide was 25%. I had laid-off friends tossing their house keys on the porch, getting in the car and driving south looking for work, leaving all the bikes and boats and toys behind for the collection agencies. Three days later we got out in Newport News, and unemployment was 4%. Night and day. They were like, what recession?

We lived in the small town of Dwight last, sort of between Streator and Kankakee. In winter 1981-82, we had four feet of snow on the ground and the temp was 40 below with a wind chill of 90 below. My wife looked at me in our little living room and said, "We're not staying here another year."

By spring, she had found a job in Tidewater, Va. We lived in Williamsburg for 7 years before moving to southern Tennessee, where her family lives.

Latest posts

Back