How To

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestro81

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Is there a how to for barreling my wine? I've decided to switch my home brewing from beer to wine this summer and I'm interested in oak barrels. I found some great places to purchase but I have absolutely no clue how to barrel a wine.

Me: I love cab sav....LOVE IT! But I do enjoy a good shiraz.
Wife: Not a drinker but does enjoy the fruit wines here and there (not planning on barreling or oaking them)

Looking really for:

1. How to prep/clean/care for oak barrels
2. How to properly transfer over (ie after secondary ferm? filtered? etc)

I think you guys get the idea.

Regardless, not going to purchase any barrels until I'm comfortable with the process.

Cheers

The most important thing is having enough wine to keep it full at all times. That takes care of most of the 'care' after you've prepped the barrel. The prep is pretty simple and includes placing hot water on the heads and inside the barrel to get the wood to swell and seal any potential leaks. Then fill with water for a day or so and seal up any leaks that pop up. Most people only put 'finished' wine into the barrel. It's just less messy if your wine is clear and free of most, if not all, sediment. What size barrel are you looking for?

Hi everyone,
Is there a how to for barreling my wine? I've decided to switch my home brewing from beer to wine this summer and I'm interested in oak barrels. I found some great places to purchase but I have absolutely no clue how to barrel a wine.

Me: I love cab sav....LOVE IT! But I do enjoy a good shiraz.
Wife: Not a drinker but does enjoy the fruit wines here and there (not planning on barreling or oaking them)

Looking really for:

1. How to prep/clean/care for oak barrels
2. How to properly transfer over (ie after secondary ferm? filtered? etc)

I think you guys get the idea.

Regardless, not going to purchase any barrels until I'm comfortable with the process.

Cheers

I would think that the company you purchase from should have instructions specific to that particular barrel.

Latest posts

Back