How To: Walker's Juice Instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
For those of you who will be making wine from Walkers 100%juice I have made some minor changes.

(Note)The juice has been inoculated with the proper amount of Potassium Metabisulfite so none is needed at start. More will be added later. Also they have been adjusted to 21 Brix and I have found the PH to be spot on.
Red Raspberry: acid 1.61 ph 3.2

Blueberry: acid 1.46 ph 3.0

Don't worry about the high acidity. If you plan on re-sweeting(recommended) it will have a nice finish.

Equipment needed

6 or 7 gal US primary fermenter with lid and airlock

one 5 gal Carboy

Hydrometer

Long spoon

Lets start.
(1)Clean and sanitize all equipment

(2) Open juice and pour very slowly into primary fermenter then take an SG reading.

(3) Add the yeast nutrient which comeswith juice and gently stir. to dissolve. sprinkle the yeast over the juice (do not stir) cover and attach the airlock.Fermentation should begin within 24 hours. (temp 70 to 75 is good)
(4) After fermentation has completed (7 to 10 days) check SG It should be 1.010 or lower rack to Carboy and let sit for an additional 10 days. Do not top up. After 10 days rack to either a primary or to another Carboy add 1/4 tsp Potassium Metabisulfite.

(Note) if adding Oak (recommended)add at this time and let sit in a cool dark place for 12 to 15 weeks. I use 1 16" American House Toast stave. Oak beans will work just as good.
(5) after 12 weeks rack to a Carboy then I add 1 pack K.C. Superclear. After a few dayswine should be clear. I then re-rack to a primary fermenter.

(6) you are now ready to sweeten.

Make a batch of simple syrup 2 cups sugar 1 cup water in a sauce pan. Heat on a stove until well dissolved then remove. Let sit till room temp. (Note) you will most likely need 2 batches so make a double batch)

(7) slowly add sugarsyrupa little at a time stirring gently to mix well. You will need to taste often till you reach your desired sweetness.
When you have reached you desired sweetness take and note the SG. This you will need for future reference. Then add 1/4 tsp Potassium Metabisulfite and 1 1/4 tsp Potassium Sorbate I mix each in 1/4 cup Water and add to wine stirring gently. This the only water I add to entire batch.

You are now ready to bottle. I have waited 12 hrs and I have bottledright away either is ok. (Note) I do filter my wines however this is your call. Then I bottle

I'm don't believe I missed anything and I'll be taking pictures soon to follow along with instructions. Good luck

Notes on MLF:

1. These juices are treated with sulfites to 50 ppm, so if you are thinking of doing a MLF (malolactic fermentation) remember any amount of sulfites will interfere with the ability of the MLF to start. Only after the fermentation has caused the sulfite to dissipate off the batch is safe to start a MLF.

2. Wines made from fruits other than grapes will not benefit from MLF, after all it's the fruitiness of these types of wine that make them distinct.

3. What I have found is that any of the grape juices from Walkers will benefit from cold stabilization.

Edited by: masta

Latest posts

Back