How to use chromatography chemical safely and storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
I've been doing chromatography for a while and have been wondering about how safe is using the chemical in the house. It is orange in colour. Also wondering if it contains formaldehyde. I've always used a respirator mask and while the chemical develops on the paper it has been hanging in my cold room. Some of the fumes inevitably gets into the house just the same. I have also stored the chemical in two sealed zip loc bags in the refrigerator. Should it rather be stored at room temperature?
Also unsure on the best way to dispose of the developer.

Thanks,
Rob

I keep my developer tightly sealed up at room temp with my wine making supplies. I would not keep it near food though. Here is a safety data sheet on it. The solution contains formic acid which can be hazardous. Otherwise it is mostly butanol and water.

I'd check with your county on where to dispose of the unwanted excess solution

Thanks, really appreciate the help on this and the link to the MSDS sheet. Will take it out of fridge and store with other supplies. Glad it does not contain formaldehyde too.

Back