how to use a hydrometer for newbies

Discussion in 'Beginners Wine Making Forum' started by jdrum, Dec 3, 2011.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Sep 30, 2019 #181

Ste

Ste

Ste

Junior

Thanks for the reply.

Yes its 4.5 litres, so not huge. What about the base reading, is now the right time to do that? Or is it to late?
    Thanks
    Ste

2. Sep 30, 2019 #182

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

Probably too late. You want to get a reading before you add your yeast, so you know what SG you are starting at. That reading, in conjunction with the reading when you are finished allows you to determine how much alcohol you have produced. Readings during fermentation allow you to monitor your progress.

3. Sep 30, 2019 #183

Ste

Ste

Ste

Junior

Ok, thanks for that, i thought that might be the case from what I had read on here. Is there any benefit to using the hydrometer at this stage then if i dont have the initial reading?

Thanks
    Ste

4. Sep 30, 2019 #184

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

Absolutely, there is a reason to use a hydrometer. When the reading stays the same for about three days in a row, then the fermentation is done. Don't trust counting bubbles in your airlock or any other method, use the tool.

mainshipfred likes this.
  5. Sep 30, 2019 #185

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

I'll add on to what @cmason1957 said. In addition to the same reading three days in a row, it should be below 1.000 for three days in a row to be finished. For instance, if you get .997 or lower, three days in a row, you're done. If you get 1.014 three days in a row, you have a stuck fermentation, as there is still sugar to be consumed.

The hydrometer, in addition to helping you calculate your final alcohol content, allows you to monitor your progress towards completion, helps you time racking and pressing, and generally lets you know when you're fermentation is on or off track.

cmason1957 and mainshipfred like this.
  6. Oct 1, 2019 #186

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

I always return the sample to the batch. (I do sanitize the test cylinder and hydrometer each time.)

bstnh1 and cmason1957 like this.
  7. Oct 1, 2019 #187

G259

G259

G259

You need to take the SG before you pitch the yeast, this lets you know how much sugar is in your must. To calculate the ending alcohol % as well. There are several apps out there to do this for you, like winecalc and fermcalc.

8. Jan 22, 2020 #188

Lexas

Lexas

Lexas

Junior

Hello. Just started my very first wine. I got some hydrometer reading before i put yeast, but not sure, is it good or not. Do I get anything drinkable? I made 2 different taste, from fruits. Interesting, that one is bubbling steady, bubble every 2 seconds, another is going crazy like tractor. Any thoughts please

Attached Files:

9. Jan 22, 2020 #189

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

Junior Member WMT Supporter

The 1.080 will get you about 11% ABV and the 1.100 about 13.75 ABV. But that is all the hydrometer is going to tell you at this time. The final wine is a product of the recipe and post fermentation additions.

Lexas likes this.
  10. Jan 24, 2020 #190

Lexas

Lexas

Lexas

Junior

And how do I know, when fermentation is finished, what hydrometer should show?

mainshipfred likes this.
  11. Jan 24, 2020 #191

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

Junior Member WMT Supporter

When I gave you those numbers I was using .995. What people say is it's done when the hydrometer reads the same for 3 days. I don't worry about it since mine age for 10-12 months but being your first batch I'm sure you will want to bottle it.

12. Jan 25, 2020 #192

Lexas

Lexas

Lexas

Junior

I read somewhere that I cant give contact with air while its fermenting. But to take sample for hydrometer read, I need to open anyway. What is best way to do that, not to contaminate wine. Or its myth an i can open when i need?

13. Jan 25, 2020 #193

crabjoe

crabjoe

crabjoe

What you heard is incorrect for the most part.

During primary fermentation, especially in the beginning, you want oxygen exposure to help the yeast. Once fermentation is ended, or near ended is when you want to keep oxygen exposure to a minimum.

That's the easy short answer.

BTW, during primary fermentation, at times, I'll leave my hydrometer in the bucket. That way, I just lift up the towel I use to keep bugs out and read. No need to keep filling a cylinder to check the gravity.

14. Jan 25, 2020 #194

Lexas

Lexas

Lexas

Junior

I was reading a lot before start make wine, but looks like i was reading in wrong place and started from second fermentation straight away ( pipe in jar with water from beginning)...

15. Jan 25, 2020 #195

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

You weren’t necessarily in the wrong place, it’s done both ways. Yeast does need a little O2 early in the process to aid with speedy reproduction, after that, not so much. Despite that, once fermentation starts, you can airlock your vessel or not, personal preference.

With white wines, I lock em up tight, reds are simply covered with a towel for easy access to the must for punch downs and measurements. During active fermentation, there is plenty CO2 being produced, and your wine will be saturated with it, protecting it well from any minor exposure you may provide as you measure.

As far as the best way, you get to decide that too!! With a must that doesn’t have any solids in it, you can simply put your sanitized hydrometer in there for a reading. If you do have solids, they can affect the readings, so you’ll be wise to extract some wine to measure in a sanitized container, and return the wine.

Lexas and cmason1957 like this.
  16. Jan 26, 2020 #196

Lexas

Lexas

Lexas

Junior

Thank you very much for info. I'll finish this anyway and then start new. Just in Ireland hard to find fresh grape juice or even concentrate. That why was doing from other fruits.

Draft saved Draft deleted