how to use a hydrometer for newbies

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could have been more specific. Dissolved solids (sugars, etc) do affect SG. Suspended solids (yeast,etc) may affect SG. There would be a slight change when the suspended solids settle out. Solid solids wouldn't affect the SG.

Suggestion: If you can afford it, buy a TILT wireless hydrometer. You calibrate it in distilled water and drop it into your batch. It takes regular temperature corrected readings and lets you instantly read your specific gravity and temperature on your smart phone or iPad.

$135???
how to use hydrometer ( sugar meter )

1) how to use hydrometer ( sugar meter ) - here
2) how to use alcohol meter - here

Reading the Hydrometer:

This reading is an indication of how sweet/dry the wine is.A hydrometer is vital for consistent results in wine making and brewing. A hydrometer will show a high figure at the start of the fermentation and a low figure when the fermentation is finished. It gives a useful indication of the progress of the fermentation. To check that the liquid is fermenting, the SG reading must indicate a lower figure than the previous reading. A reading of SG 1.000 or lower for more than two days indicates that fermentation is at an end.The hydrometer should read SG 1.000 in tap water at 20ºC (68°F). The deviation may amount to 3 units of calibration above or below 1.000. Test the hydrometer and allow for the discrepancy, if any, when testing/measuring the liquid.

To use:

Always sterilize hydrometer and trial jar before use. Do not place in hot water, it may break.

Put sample of liquid to be tested into a trial jar. Lower hydrometer carefully into liquid, spin or shake to remove bubbles sticking to stem. If liquid is still fermenting, bubbles on the hydrometer may cause there ading to be incorrect, in this case remove the hydrometer and shake the sample to remove as much gas as possible. NOTE: TO CONVERT GRAVITY INTO BALLINGS PLEASE USE TABLE

When the hydrometer is steady in the liquid take the SG reading from where the surface of the liquid meets the stem at eye level. After use, rinse the hydrometer and wipedry.

Always take a reading of the liquid before adding yeast and fermentation starts. With kit wines it is convenient to take a reading after sugar (if any) has been added. It is best to dissolve sugar before adding, with country or fruit wines take a reading before adding sugar in order to calculate the correct amount of sugar to add.

Beer makers use the hydrometer in the same manner as for wine making, but can use the SG 1.005 point to check when the beer is ready for bottling.

The hydrometer "reads" the thickness of the liquid, if a lot of fruit is used and grain also is added this will increase the reading, the reading can be used in conjunction with a taste of the sample of liquid being tested.

To calculate the final strength of the wine, write down(omitting the decimal point) the SG

At the start of the ferment (i.e. after the sugar was added).Subtract from it the final SG, and divide the answer by 7.36; that is the percentage of alcohol by volume of your wine. Multiply that by 7 and divide by4 and it will give you the strength as proof spirit.

Starting SG – Final SG ÷7.36 = % Alcohol by volume then

% Alcohol by volume x 7 ÷ 4 = Strength as proof spirit

Starting SG minus final SG; multiply answer by 131.25.

Personally , if I should happen to forget to take a beginning SG check, I revert to the Honneyman method at Fermcalc. As the saying goes, close enough for state work. And if I do have both readings, I use my Flip phone calculator. SG - FG X 133. Or 131. Still close enough. As bstnh1 says, no big deal.

Suggestion: If you can afford it, buy a TILT wireless hydrometer. You calibrate it in distilled water and drop it into your batch. It takes regular temperature corrected readings and lets you instantly read your specific gravity and temperature on your smart phone or iPad.
Holy heck, that's more expensive than almost all of my equipment put together. It's a cool concept, definitely something I'd buy if I was a professional or had a money tree in my backyard.

Curious why so many in this forum appear to prefer the SG scale over Brix?

Professional winemakers tend to speak in Brix, as far as I can tell.

Thanks
Seth

Thanks
Seth
I think it had to do with the ease to determine the Potential Alcohol given the Brix. As in 22 Brix gives about 11% abv. Slight higher, I think the factor is 0.555 not 0.5 (which gives about 12.1%abv), but close enough. Most (maybe I should say many) start with kids, which tell you the expected sg is 1.090 or so. Either works.

Thanks
Seth
Refractometer gives you a quick brix while checking juice or must prior to fermentation, but will not be accurate after fermentation starts, alcohol throws it off. So using a hydometer to measure starting and finishing SG is needed for accuracy.

Refractometer gives you a quick brix while checking juice or must prior to fermentation, but will not be accurate after fermentation starts, alcohol throws it off. So using a hydometer to measure starting and finishing SG is needed for accuracy.
thank you, I'm very much aware of the limitations of a refractometer. Most hydrometers have both the specific gravity as well as Brix scale.

I was speaking about a liquid that has solid particles in suspension. In my example, these solid particles could be denser than the liquid. They will eventually settle out, but may not fall out of suspension quickly. (Think muddy water, for example.)

In this case, even though the particles are not dissolved, they do raise the density of the liquid. Look at it this way: If you want to insert a hydrometer into this liquid, you will need to raise the average height of some of the liquid and suspended solids. This will cost energy that depends on the density of the liquid, irrespective of whether the particles are dissolved or merely suspended. Further, it does not matter if said particles touch the hydrometer or not.

Here is a useful Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_(chemistry)

I'm trying a 1 gal. kit of Pinot Grigio.
I'm hoping I didn't measure the first SG correctly, I recorded it as 1.020. I started a 1 gal. kit for my first attempt and I am 6 days in.
Could this SG measurement be correct? If so, what will the wine probably taste like?
Thanks for any comments.

I'm trying a 1 gal. kit of Pinot Grigio.
I'm hoping I didn't measure the first SG correctly, I recorded it as 1.020. I started a 1 gal. kit for my first attempt and I am 6 days in.
Could this SG measurement be correct? If so, what will the wine probably taste like?
Thanks for any comments.

That does seem exceedingly low. Take a look at this video and see if it jibes with your measurement technique:

Hi, i've just started my 1st wine kit and have a few basic questions about the Hydrometre.

Do you put the sample back, drink it, or chuck it?
I'm a few days into the 2nd fermenting stage and havent taken a sample yet, do i take my 1st reading now or is it to late?

Thanks
Ste

If you are making a small batch and have sanitized the equipment, put the wine back.You might take a sip and see how things are progressing. Since this is your first (of many!) attempts, consider that baseline information. Otherwise, pitch it.

Latest posts

Back