How to make Chard more "buttery"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecopp

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,
Last Spring, I made a 5 gallon carboy of Cru Chardonnay. Yesterday, we sampled it and, although very flavorful, my wife's comment was that she would prefer for it to be more "buttery". Any advice on what I might do to this batch before bottling to achieve the "buttery" request would be appreciated.
Thanks very much.

Probably not a lot you could do at this point, except blend it with something that has to much of that buttery taste. Next kit you make, you could rack from fermenting bucket to carboy, then leave on those lees for an extended timeframe, something like 30-90 days, stirring twice a day or more. You are trying to do a "Sur-lee" (on the lees) with battonage (Stirring). It might help, but most of that buttery taste does come from doing a malolactic fermentation, which is not recommended for kit wines.

Here's some notes on Diactyl production via MLF. Less time on the lees recommended because the yeast metabolize the diacetyl.

https://scottlab.com/manage-diacetyl

MAXIMIZING DIACETYL PRODUCTION
  1. STRAIN CHOICE: Choose a strain with a high potential for diacetyl production (Beta and PN4).
  2. CONTACT TIME WITH LEES: The shorter the contact time with yeast and bacteria, the higher the diacetyl. Rack off the lees or wait a few days for the yeast to die o after primary fermentation before adding bacteria. The living yeast and bacteria break down the diacetyl levels irreversibly.
  3. TIMING: Add malolactic bacteria after primary fermentation for a sequential fermentation. Filtering the wine to remove yeast or racking off the lees will contribute to higher diacetyl levels. Generally, the diacetyl level is the highest right when the malic acid is depleted.
  4. FERMENTATION TIME: The longer the malolactic fermentation (MLF) the higher the diacetyl.
  5. WINE CONDITIONS: Lower pH and temperature conditions favor higher diacetyl because MLF will be slower under these conditions.
  6. STIR DURING MLF: Stir the wine during MLF to avoid reductive conditions and to allow slight oxidative conditions. The higher redox potential will tend to favor the production of diacetyl rather than a reduction to acetoin and 2, 3-butanediol, which do not contribute to the overall aroma of the wine.
  7. ADDITION OF SULFITES: S02 binds to diacetyl in a reversible reaction. When adding S02 the diacetyl level will seem to disappear, but over time the reaction will reverse and the diacetyl will be released back into the wine. S02 also inhibits yeast and bacteria activity and can stabilize the diacetyl content at the time of addition.
  8. INOCULATION RATE: Lower bacteria inoculation rates result in higher diacetyl wines.
MINIMIZING DIACETYL PRODUCTION
  1. STRAIN CHOICE: Choose a neutral strain (VP41 or MT01).
  2. CONTACT TIME WITH LEES: The longer the contact time with yeast and bacteria, the lower the diacetyl. The living yeast and bacteria break down the diacetyl levels irreversibly.
  3. TIMING: A simultaneous alcoholic/malolactic fermentation will tend to produce a more fruit forward style. As the diacetyl is being produced, the yeast and bacteria will break it down. If bacteria is added after alcoholic fermentation, let the wine stay on the lees until a desired level of diacetyl is reached.
  4. FERMENTATION TIME: The faster the malolactic fermentation (MLF), the lower the diacetyl.
  5. WINE CONDITIONS: Higher pH and temperature conditions favor lower diacetyl levels because the MLF is faster.
  6. DO NOT STIR DURING MLF: Try not to stir the wine during MLF. The lower redox potential will tend to favor the production of acetoin and 2, 3-butanediol (rather than diacetyl) which do not contribute to the overall aroma of the wine.
  7. ADDITION OF SULFITES: S02 binds to diacetyl in a reversible reaction. Initially, the diacetyl level will seem to disappear, but over time the reaction will reverse and the diacetyl will be released. Wait for the malic and citric acids to be utilized before adding sulfites. Follow the progression of diacetyl and stabilize when it reaches the desired level.
  8. INOCULATION RATE: Higher bacteria inoculation rates result in lower diacetyl wines.
Cheers!
-johann

I thought the reason to not put a kit through MLF because the kits had already been acid balanced and it would throw off the PH. Assuming that's the main reason, if someone wanted a buttery wine made from a kit, couldn't someone just put their kit through MLF then add acid back once it's completed? You'd think this you'd get that butttery flavor, then the additional acid would bring back some of that bite, one might be looking for.

I also understood that the quantity of citric acid played a role in the diacetyl production during MLF. More citric, more diacetyl.

And since kit wines are potentially acid balanced using an acid blend containing citric, they are usually discouraged from being put through MLF.

After all, who wants a buttery dry red wine? (Frankly, I hate buttery Chardonnay too, thank you Robert F. Parker)

I thought the reason to not put a kit through MLF because the kits had already been acid balanced and it would throw off the PH. Assuming that's the main reason, if someone wanted a buttery wine made from a kit, couldn't someone just put their kit through MLF then add acid back once it's completed? You'd think this you'd get that butttery flavor, then the additional acid would bring back some of that bite, one might be looking for.

You can get a bucket of Chardonnay juice or fresh grapes and put it through an MLF. But as a rule, you should not put a kit wine through MLF.

There are members testing that rule right now. Not sure how it’s going.

You might also consider doing a different kit. My wife likes a buttery chard, too. The Wine Expert Luna Bianca is her favorite wine. Made it 5 or 6 times now.

Latest posts

Back