How-To Adding Additional Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Sol

Junior
Reaction score
A beginner at wine making, I am moving onto my third wine kit<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
making Vintners Reserve Valpolicella, but I would like to add body and complexity to the kit by adding additional oak. I have felt our first two kits were successful, but lacking the type of oak we enjoy (maybe due to not enough age yet- our first has aged 6 mos but was overwhelmingly enjoyed by friends it's almost gone:), 2nd currently still aging in bottle at 4mos).

Could anyone share ways they have added oak (in addition to what the recipe calls for) in kit recipes? Reading through your forums it seems there is a variety of ways to do this. Detailed suggestions of "how-to's" would be greatly appreciated!

Additionally, I am following a Spanish White Table Wine (from the book Winemaking by Stanley and Dorothy Anderson) and I'ld like to add some buttery-nutty oak to this too. Currently I am on day 6 (SG 1.012), finished the fermentation and just racked and transferred. Any suggestions of best way to add the type of oak-finish I am looking for?

Thanks again in advance to any responders!

Here's some info for you

Consider adding raisins to your Valpo! Add 2 pounds directly to the fermenter. dump them right in. The raisins will aid in increasing the mouth feel and body

As far as oaking goes...consider using the oak spirals....as opposed to the oak chips. Also, consider adding oak either in the secondary or during bulk aging.

Ive had a lot of luck using the spirals

K Sol said:
A beginner at wine making, I am moving onto my third wine kit<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
making Vintners Reserve Valpolicella, but I would like to add body and complexity to the kit by adding additional oak. I have felt our first two kits were successful, but lacking the type of oak we enjoy (maybe due to not enough age yet- our first has aged 6 mos but was overwhelmingly enjoyed by friends it's almost gone:), 2nd currently still aging in bottle at 4mos).<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Could anyone share ways they have added oak (in addition to what the recipe calls for) in kit recipes? Reading through your forums it seems there is a variety of ways to do this. Detailed suggestions of "how-to's" would be greatly appreciated!<O:p></O:p>
Additionally, I am following a Spanish White Table Wine (from the book Winemaking by Stanley and Dorothy Anderson) and I'ld like to add some buttery-nutty oak to this too. Currently I am on day 6 (SG 1.012), finished the fermentation and just racked and transferred. Any suggestions of best way to add the type of oak-finish I am looking for? <O:p></O:p>
Thanks again in advance to any responders!<O:p></O:p>
For more body I would suggest another kit mfg or spend more on a high end kit. WE Reserve need alot of help. Like above Raisins or add banana's for body.
I would add oak after the secondary. Oak really dont add body. Chips will be faster extraction Spirials are good but take a little longer.

additionally, i would experiment w different toast levels and using more than one oak in the same wine

You can also try thesehttp://www.finevinewines.com/ProdCC12GP.asp to add additional body, just remember when you add the grape packs or raisins you will also add aging time. Also you may consider picking up different kits (trust me they are all very easy to make) Mosti Renascence has an outstanding reputationhttp://www.finevinewines.com/ProdListREN.asp and is a fantastic value for your money. And any kit with a grape pack or raisins will have more body.

Thank you greatly for your insight and suggestions! I am starting it this evening and will utilize the rasins. It sounds like I should just dump them in without chopping or grinding them up- correct?

Thank you again!

Kristen

Thank you to everyone for your rapid replies, advice, and valuable resources! I am greatly looking forward to this batch. I will keep you posted on the results!

Thank you again!

Kristen

Currently some folks are doing a coarse chop on their raisins to aid in a faster extraction since the raisins are dried and need rehydrating.

Others are just dumping them in and letting them go which is what the instructions say in the kits that come with raisin packs.

I don't think we have any evidence yet that one method works any better than the other.

K Sol said:
Thank you greatly for your insight and suggestions!  I am starting it this evening and will utilize the rasins.  It sounds like I should just dump them in without chopping or grinding them up- correct?

Thank you again!

Kristen

ibglowin said:
Currently some folks are doing a coarse chop on their raisins to aid in a faster extraction since the raisins are dried and need rehydrating.

Others are just dumping them in and letting them go which is what the instructions say in the kits that come with raisin packs.

I don't think we have any evidence yet that one method works any better than the other.

I did a test run with a mead, split the batch 1/2 got the whole raisins, 1/2 got the chopped raisins. Could not tell any difference in taste or body of the mead. However racking was a bit easier with the whole raisins. If you want to take the extra step and chop up the raisins go for it, but my experiment showed its really not necessary.

Kristen, this season I will make a banana soup and add to my musts, as Tom had mentioned.

I age my wines 10 months for reds and I use American Oak chips. My Whites 6 months but less oak. For the reds I use 8 ounces (1 cup) of oak. May add a bit more to the Merlots and Cabs.

When I bottle the oak chips go into the garden.

Latest posts

Back