How should I wire my arbor ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoreBloodWine

Junior
Reaction score
I have a 10x10' arbor thats about 6/6.5' tall. Well I was thinking if wiring it up with 5 across o nthe horizontal and vertical giving it a 6x6 square look. I was thinking this might be overdoing it a bit given how things might need to hang so as my first official post here I thought I would see what you guys thing. Please edit the image as needed, Ty.

The image just gives a basic visual, right now though in my yard I have it set up with twine with 10 strings giving it the 6x6 block look.

grape_arbor.png

FWIW, I live in Meadville Pa and am growing two reliance seedless. One plants doing good, already att the top of the arbor and come have way to mid point where it will then be laid down in the wiring up top, but the other got wind burnt some time back and I had to cut it back a bit. It was the weaker / smaller of the two plants this season so I didnt lose a lot of growth but the other one is going strong. I also took this opprotunity to move the arbor and plants to a spot that gets full sun from sun up til about 3:30pm.

If I do t wires on the horizontal and vertical it will have a 6x6 squared look on the inside with each "block" measuring 19.5".

You are confusing me more all the time. Now you are saying 19.5 inch blocks?????????? This makes no sense to me. Generally a trellis is made with 4 posts and a series of wires up two of the sides and on top. The vines are planted on opposite sides, not the middle.

Never mind, its not hard to figure out but apparently it is. If people would take the time to read every word and let it sink in ud have an oh **** moment and be like.... duuuuuh, that's what he meant.

I think your response is a bit harsh. I am an intelligent person and did read every word. The more I read it, the less it makes sense. You are welcome to make the setup any way you like, but you did ask for opinions. If you have 5 wires at 19.5 inches apart, it is 97.5 inches for the top wire which is about 8 feet high.

We are friendly and helpful here, but a little courtesy goes a long way.

Imaa simplify this even further n leave it at that. But if I have something that's 117" squared (round to 10') and add five wires on the horizontal and vertical I end up with 36 / 6x6 squares totaling 19.5" each in size. I figured that would be too much and wanted opinions how how the top of the arbor should be wired. The vines won't cover sides as they wrap oppisite corner posts. Then come half way out and will then lay flat on the top of the arbor as illustrated. I just don't want to use too many wires which is why I was lookin for ideas. As for courtesy, I don't feel I was rude but more so annoyed. I just get this ur confusing me thing a lot.

If they're growing across the top of the arbor, they only need something to hold onto.

You wont be able to train them much - about as much as trying to tame an autistic 3-year old's hair (I speak from experience on that one)

They just need something to grab so they don't touch the ground or get in your face.

Hows that for simple?
(You're still being harsh)

Maybe you'd have better luck if you spaced your ideas out some visually; big blocks of text can come off as a jumbled mess unless its all pertaining to the same detail.

Some things in life, while clear in your head, are plain-old hard to describe to someone else

Like u said I won't be able to train it much which I expected. But I do want to support it enough so the plant won't hang / stress much when it begins to produce. This is my first season so I know I won't get ne thin til the third. Anyway, I'm still open to ideas on how to wire the top to best support the plants. Still not sure on pruning method. If I spur prune I should be able to wrap some stuff around a few support wires. So I'm open to placement ideas for thw wires, thx in advance ;-)

Latest posts

Back