How rotted is too rotted?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
I picked about 200lbs of Riesling from my cousins farm today. 19 brix.
There was more brown/split/rot grapes then I expected, see photo. My own Muscat grapes never look this bad, nor have the other grapes I've gotten from him over the years. I'm guessing most of this is due to the late season this year, everything is a few weeks to a month behind.

As I was crushing them, I tried removing most of of the damaged grapes.

My question is, does this look fairly standard? or is this more damaged than normal for Riesling?
20191022_220400.jpg

I helped with a Riesling harvest around Labor Day. The Brix was 18 and they were starting to break down and rot. We tried to cut out the rot where less than half the bunch were affected. I think that was normal for their area. I'd clean them up and give it a go.

You should be fine. A small percent of rotten grapes (though not ideal) won't impact the flavor noticeably. The caution is if there is obvious vinegar production going on then your entire batch of wine is at risk but from the picture you posted, it looks like you're good.

Back