How much yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been a home brewer for 4 yrs now and recently decided to move production up a bit. We just bought a 300 gallon flextank and am ready to start making some wine. Problem is I need help with how much yeast to use in 300 gallons of wine. Any help would be appreciated

I have no idea, contact one of the yeast suppliers that sale by the pounds.
I think that would be accurate.
I use 1 packet for 6 gallons...so for 300 gallons....that is 50 packets times
5 grams...250 grams. that would be 0.551 lbs.
shoot..i do not know..ask one of the big wine makers here...like runningwolf, are turock.

I hope you have a license for that much wine. Federal regs is 100 gallons per person and 200 per family.

Public forum...

as a home wine maker i can see having 10 are 15 carboys sitting with different wines in diffrent stages...but 300 gallons....that seems to me like quite a bit, and not knowing what the chemicals should be .
that would take a lot of cash just to play with...just the sugar would cost a small wad of cash.

300 gallons of dragon blood
fruit from grocery store......5400.00
sugar from grocery store.....480.00
yeast from hbs..................89.00
other chemicals total

fruit from grocery store......5400.00
sugar from grocery store.....480.00
other chemicals total

Wait a minute..... I appreciate the math you are doing here, but this comes to $5970 for 300 gallons, or $119 for 6 gallons. Do you mean to tell me that you Dragon Blood people are paying $120 for a 6 gallon batch? If so, I think I'll stick to kits!

Dustybottlemead,
I usually use 1 gram per gallon of wine. But like DoctorCAD mentioned,100 gallons per person and 200 per family is the legal limit in the US.
Paul, most of the better 6 gallon wine kits cost more than $120. Italian Juice Buckets can cost up to $90 depending where you get them.
I make 8-9 gallon batches. I buy the fruit blend for the Berry Bliss Melomel frozen from the warehouse stores, on average, a 6 lb bag of a strawberry, blackberry, blueberry and raspberry blend usually costs between $6-$9, I used 3 or so lbs per gallon on this last batch if I remember correctly, even if I bought 6 bags, it would total $54.00, the fresh honey that I use is the expensive part.
This is one of those times where "you only get out of it what you put into it" rings truthful.

I thought I posted on the commercial winery forum. I am licensed as a Meadery. We are just starting out and I thought some mead brothers or sisters could help out a bit. Not go off on other things. Thanks for the help

fruit from grocery store......1400.00
sugar from grocery store.....180.00
other chemicals total .........23

sorry bout that....need a new keyboard.

@dustybottlemead

I'm with a company called Fusion Glassworks, and have been looking to reach you by email on an inquiry you sent, but your return email address did not come through. Could you possibly reach me at [email protected] ?

The by-the-book answer is follow the yeast manufacturer's instructions which are usualy 1 gram per gallon. However, the trend in Washington Commercial Wineries is to reduce that by up to 50%. The yeast manufacturers are in the business of moving their product........

Back