How much work to take on!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebbutler

Reaction score
How many vines or acre(s) can one energetic dedicated person plant and maintain? I’ve been told that in Northern Missouri to plant my rows 10’ and vines 8’ and just to grow a single top row 5’ high. 348 Vidal Blanc, 210 Cayuga White and 489 Concord. I do have some friends that will assist and there are also people for hire in the area. With the exception of harvest containers I think I have the major equipment, various sized tractors with loaders and mowers, 4 wheeler and sprayer, post hole digger and posts.

Is this too much for one or two people? The primary work load being on one person.

The main thing you'll do for the first two years(after planting) is mow the rows. Setting posts and running wires is the #2 chore. Spraying for bugs and fungus would be #3... Then into the 3rd year pruning in Jan-Mar, help can be used then. Day to day, just checking things, tying vines up one or two people can do. If you aready have tractors and sprayers, you're ahead of the game. Late fall, putting up bird netting may take more than two people. Picking in the fall is a 'right now' thing where help is needed. I have some friends with about 1200 plants, the time they need help is pruning and picking. Not sure how many acres they have total. But she takes care of the vineyards and he makes the wine.
I'll let one of the other people with the bigger vineyards chime in now.

Latest posts

Back