How much sun is needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklausjames

Reaction score
I'm new to grape growing and have been thinking of starting about 20 vines in my yard. I live about 30 mins north of nyc so space is a premium. I live in lower Hudson Valley on a nice sloped hill with plenty of drainage. I think it's zone 6 and I think some Vitis vinifera can be grown here. However I am concerned about sun exposure since there is a lot of shade in my yard and I can't do much to eliminate it. Anyone have any advice for assessing if I have enough sun to have a viable crop and are there any vines that do well with less sun? Thx so much!

The quick answer for that is A LOT. Grapes need a good full sun to do well. They will grow, but are less fruitful in shaded areas and you will have a hard time ripening them. Also the leaves will remain wet longer leading to more disease.

Grapeman is right but if I may be allowed to be a bit harsher :), anything less than full sun will diminish your outcome. Also trees within 50 feet will suck the energy right out of the ground. Find a spot with full sun away from trees or big shrubs if you want vibrant plants.

You might try a less demanding variety. Whites should do better than reds in shady places. Or maybe there's a sunny spot on a wall, where you could build up a cordon...

Latest posts

Back