How much kmeta should I add before I bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle my three 6 gallon batches of Carmenere, Malbec, and Cabernet Sauvignon. They have been aging for a year now. I just tested the free SO2 and they all came out to around 3 PPM. I'm not sure if I can trust the results because the kit expired in December. I added a 1/4 teaspoon of kemta after racking and I added an 1/8 teaspoon of kmeta 6 months ago. The PH test strips are saying they all have a PH of about 3.4. Could someone please help me figure out how many grams of Kmeta to add before I bottle?

Are you going to be aging it much longer? 3 PPM is pretty low ( almost nonexistent). I'm new at learning the amounts to add but from what I know- The k-meta I use says 1/2 tsp- 6gal gives me 50 ppm.So I would use 1/2 tsp= 3 grams if I was to age a year. Otherwise I would get my wine to about 35 ppm by using about 2 grams if drinking sooner.
Someone with more experience might jump in here. This is just what I've learned.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I am going to age them for a year so I'll go with the 3 grams.

Try this link it's a wine makers calculator for SO2 addition. It looks like you should add around 1 gram to get to around 25 ppm which is what you should be at for a red wine or 1.5 grams to get to around 35 ppm for a white wine with a pH of 3.4.

Latest posts

Back