How many oak staves in a used 5 gal barrel?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigpappa6

Junior
Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions or input for how many medium toasted oak staves to put in a 5 gal barrel? I'm mostly thinking of cabernet but I would like to hear input for other wines as well. I'm considering again in 5 gal oak barrels but I'm thinking of using used barrels so I can control the oakiness a little better. I'm concerned about getting over oaked in a new barrel. I want to keep the wine in the barrel for most of the aging though so that's why I'm thinking I use a used barrel, put a stave in and when it's oaked enough I just pull the stave out or maybe don't need to pull the stave out. I'm concerned if I use a brand new barrel I will get too much oak too fast and then have to remove the wine from the barrel altogether when I actually want it still aging in the barrel.

Sorry everyone, I see now that this should have gone into the oaking and barrel section...not sure how to move it there...

Latest posts

Back