How long will a fruit wine ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I started a peach wine on September 5. It is now October 27, over 7 weeks and its still bubbling about like a a flat champagne would if you shook it lightly. Started with 3 gallons of peach juice from my tree and brought it to 6 gallons and sugared to 1.09. Used Champagne yeast and I've transfered it twice. Not too worried about it but curious if its normal to ferment this long since this is the first wine for me. Don't really want to mess with it to test the SG but it was under 1.01 when I transferred it 4 weeks ago. The Peach/Concord that I did at the same time hasn't fermented in over 5 weeks but I used K1 yeast on it (it tastes like a burnt tire, the peach was very good.)

bubbling doesn't mean it is not done fermenting, it will release CO2 that is in it until it is degassed. Use the hydrometer and check the SG. If it isn't changing it is done and needs degassing. If it changes then it is still working and, Yes it can take that long some time. No 2 batches seem to ever work the same. I started to fermenters with same juice and everything the same next to each other and 1 took a week long and tastes different, it is slight but not the same

you need to take an sg reading, your wine could be done, since you did say it was under 1.010 four weeks ago. This is a good chance that your wine just needs to be degassed.

Welcome aboard!!

Take an SG reading for the next couple days - if the it is the same - it is done fermenting and it is probably degassing on it's own. You can do a couple tests to ensure it is CO2 releasing. Taste it - if it tastes or feels fizzy - it is CO2. Draw a sample out in a test tube - place your hand over it and shake it - when you remove your hand and if you hear a pop - it is CO2.

Of course! That makes total sense. Thanks a bunch.
This is really addictive. I've got three batches going right now.

Latest posts

Back