how long does open bottle last?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK am I the only one here that didn't know what JOAM was till I looked it up! :)

Multiple choice answers

A. Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials

B. Joe's Orange Anchient Orange Mead

C. Jamaica Organic Agriculture Movement

D. Julie Ordered Another Malbec

E. None of the above

True, but buying 50-60 bottles per batch? $$$$ Ouch!

The 375's are a little cheaper than the 750 ml. One could bottle some in both sizes. For each 6-gallon batch, I like to bottle at least 6 bottle of 375's. I use them for taste testing down the road... don't want to open a 750 and waste it because it is not ready. (I have been know to re-cork such a bottle, though.)

The suggestion was that if you cannot finish a 750, bottle in 375's. For myself, and probably many others, that is not an economically viable solution. Raw, used 750's can be gotten for nothing. I have never found 375's other than retail. From my LHBS, enough for a 5 gallon batch would be $67.

The suggestion was that if you cannot finish a 750, bottle in 375's. For myself, and probably many others, that is not an economically viable solution. Raw, used 750's can be gotten for nothing. I have never found 375's other than retail. From my LHBS, enough for a 5 gallon batch would be $67.

There's no right or wrong, here. We are talking options only. I would never spend that kind of money for each batch, either; it is just an option.

That's about right, maybe a little high for my LHBS, but still a lot of bucks. Those bottles will last forever, though. Reuse them. I would never bottle "everything" in those small bottles, anyway. However, if you use only a few for each batch of wine, that is better than not. Buy a case of 24 once or twice a year to spread out the cost.

Some people bottle their wine in beer bottles with regular beer caps. That is perfectly OK, too.

As a side, it seems to me the wine in the smaller bottles doesn't age at the same pace as that in the larger bottles. Maybe it is just me, but the larger bottles seem to be ready faster.

In my house, we typically will polish off any bottle we open in one evening. When we don't, I use a small VacuVin, which I get from my LHBS. It sucks much of the air out of an open bottle and leaves it drinkable the next evening.

I use a small VacuVin, which I get from my LHBS. It sucks much of the air out of an open bottle and leaves it drinkable the next evening.
That's what I do too. I live alone, so a 750mL bottle would last 4-5 days even if I drank the same wine every night, which I don't. I keep the whites in the fridge, and the reds in my "cellar". Most wines hold up OK. A few do not, and I even had one that turned before I got the first glass finished.

Mine only lasts one evening...I'm totally convinced that the wine in the bottom of the bottle is the best.

Private Reserve works 100X better than any Vacuvin if you want to really preserve and protect the wine. Not especially cheap but Amazon is carrying it now along with some neat preservation systems that use Argon canisters like the CO2 ones you use for paint ball guns.

Latest posts

Back