How long can you leave wine sitting on sparkalloid?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I have 6 gallons of cab Frac (MM kit) which has not cleared to my satisfaction. I am doing the best I can to degass with my newly acquired AI1 VP, but I still don't think it was have time to clear by my anticipated bottling date if mid October.

So I intend to use some sparkalloid, but the question is how soon?
Usually with my DB I have used sparkalloid waited 2 or 3 days and then bottled right out of the carboy.
Since I don't plan on bottling until October can I add the sparkalloid now and let the entire thing sit for a month or should I rack in a week or 2?

And what would be he harm in leaving the sparkalloid just sitting in the wine?

elmer...when you see 1/2 sediment rack...if its every 3 days, who cares..rack it.
if you want to bottle.
I tried sparkoloid like 4 times and it was a slow clearing. i tried the super kleer, and it worked great.
not advising, just the way I do things.

Usually a month but I wait 6 weeks from adding sparkolloid to racking off of the sediment.

With sparkolloid make sure you simmer half an hour, add hot and stir in well. Failure to do so will not remove sediment to its full potential.

I have only used Sparkalloid, because my LHBS only carries it.
I have had very good success with sparkalloid.
Usually clears in a few days, but I dont like to rush the process!

Elmer,
I always let my DB sit for two weeks after adding Sparkloid. It is usually clear after 3-4 days. I let it sit like that to make sure as much sediment as possible drops and compacts. Otherwise I get that swirly sediment on the sides that is hard to keep out of the bottles.

Latest posts

Back