How Good Is Cantaloupe Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAgreeneyes

Reaction score
I have a neighbor who has a garden and he is always giving me fruit and veggies. Well, he gave me some cantaloupe yesterday and the first thing that I thought about was WINE!!! I found a recipe and I think I will try to make only 1 gallon. Not sure how it will turn out.

Anyone have cantaloupe wine experience?

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request137.asp

CANTALOUPES

Like most melons, the orange-fleshed cantaloupe Cucumis melo cantalupensis, makes unforgiving wine. If you do one thing wrong, the wine quickly heads south. Even if you do nothing wrong, cantaloupes can make poor wine. It is the quality of the fruit that matters then. Quality fruit make delicous wine. Inferior fruit are better eaten.

Vine-ripened melons are required for any melon wine, but especially cantaloupe wine. The tantalizing muskiness of the melon is easily lost if not fermented quickly. Follow this recipe exactly and use no substitutes. You will start with more than a gallon of must and squeeze this down to slightly more than a gallon of juice. When the quantity dips below one gallon, raise the level of the wine by dropping sterilized glass marbles into secondary. Do not dilute by topping up.

Cantaloupe Wine

5 very ripe cantaloupes
1 cup golden raisins finely chopped
4 peeled lemons, thinly sliced
1 lb 10 oz finely granulated sugar
6 pts water
¼ tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Montrachet wine yeast

Peel the cantaloupes down to orange flesh. Cut in half over primary to save juice, then continue cutting into small chunks. Both seeds and flesh go in nylon straining bag along with lemon slices and chopped or minced raisins. Tie the bag closed and mash fruit with hands. Meanwhile, bring one quart water to boil and stir in sugar until dissolved. Add to primary. Add remaining water and yeast nutrient. Add activated yeast. Cover and squeeze bag daily with hands for one week. Squeeze well to extract all juice and discard seeds and pulp. Recover and stir daily for additional week. Rack, into secondary and fit airlock. Rack every 30 days until wine is clear and no longer throwing sediment. Stabilize and bottle. Drink after six months.

I made some Cantaloupe wine and used Jack Keller's recipe as a base. The only thing I changed is the amount of cantaloupes (doubled it) and I used Lemon juice instead of peeled lemons. I peeled the cantaloupes and put chunks into a juicer instead of over the primary. I put the juice into the primary and the pulp from the juicer into a nylon bag then added water. I might try the steam juicer next time since I got very little juice out a cantaloupe and the mess it made with the juicer was unbelievable. The cantaloupe got everywhere lol even underneath it to stop it from spinning.

My wife and mother in law loved it but I thought it was a "meh" wine. It had decent body and you can definitely taste the cantaloupe but to me it was like sucking a cantaloupe chunk with alcohol on it. I found the flavour to be lacking/bland after I used 10 melons but I didn't use an f-pack with mine. I would suggested using around 15 canteloupes or 10 and an f-pack.

I made some Cantaloupe wine and used Jack Keller's recipe as a base. The only thing I changed is the amount of cantaloupes (doubled it) and I used Lemon juice instead of peeled lemons. I peeled the cantaloupes and put chunks into a juicer instead of over the primary. I put the juice into the primary and the pulp from the juicer into a nylon bag then added water. I might try the steam juicer next time since I got very little juice out a cantaloupe and the mess it made with the juicer was unbelievable. The cantaloupe got everywhere lol even underneath it to stop it from spinning.

My wife and mother in law loved it but I thought it was a "meh" wine. It had decent body and you can definitely taste the cantaloupe but to me it was like sucking a cantaloupe chunk with alcohol on it. I found the flavour to be lacking/bland after I used 10 melons but I didn't use an f-pack with mine. I would suggested using around 15 canteloupes or 10 and an f-pack.

That sounds like something I want to try. Thanks for the suggestions.

This is just based on a "mist type kit" that was kiwi melon. We did not care for the taste but you may like it. I would make sure that the melon tastes good to you because there are many varieties of melon. We love cantaloupe but the most common variety here is Athena and we do not like it one bit.

I too have thought of cantaloupe wine, but I am thinking of it as a flavoring added to a neutral wine base after stabilizing. They grow a lot of them here and the prices will really fall by August.

If you do decide to go ahead with the Cantaloupe wine, keep me updated .

Last edited:
Back